Major overheating Boost chip

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Oxxy

Major overheating Boost chip

Post by Oxxy »

Hi, I just got my MintyBoost kit in the mail today and couldn't wait to put it together. Eventually it was complete. My multi meter read an exact 5v output. It was running fine for a few minutes untill I dry fit it all in the tin to mark placement of where to cut the usb slot. Then I noticed immediatly the boost chip was getting hot so I took it out of the tin thinking maybe it was just a quick short from the metal tin. It coninuted to get to hot to touch so I just removed the batteries. I checked a million times over from solder bridging ect. but am unable to find the source of the problem. Is my Boost chip fried for good, or any of the other components? I'm not very familiar with small circutry and components so maybe there is something I am overlooking?

Here is some pictures of the top and bottom, any help is appreciated, thanks.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4981/dsc00072je9.jpg

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7771/dsc00074im2.jpg

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

now that its out of the tin, do you still get 5V out?

Oxxy

Post by Oxxy »

Nope, I only get 2.66v output now :?

I have to go to sleep, Ill check back tomorrow. Sorry

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm yeah sounds like badness happened. did you put the foam tape on before you put it in the tin?

Oxxy

Post by Oxxy »

ladyada wrote:hmm yeah sounds like badness happened. did you put the foam tape on before you put it in the tin?
I just placed it in without removing the paper backing so I could take it back out to cut the tin. But maybe it it slipped out from underneath the chip or something. What parts do you think could be damaged by that so I can go find them?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

probably the max756CPA you can get it from digikey, or possibly sample/buy it it from www.maxim-ic.com

Oxxy

Post by Oxxy »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”