Use MintyBoost to power the Raspberry Pi?

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dastagg

Use MintyBoost to power the Raspberry Pi?

Post by dastagg »

Hi,

I am trying to put together a "Supercomputer" using the Raspberry PI similiar to what they did at University of Southampton (http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspb ... ampton.htm).

I have 4 RPis that I can use for this project.

What I would like to do instead of using a power strip and plug 4 USB power supplies into the strip is use something like the MintyBoost (4 of them) and build them into the "rack" and then power them from a single AC/DC power converter.

However, 2 questions:

1) The RPi "needs?" 1000mA to run well. Can the MintyBoost be updated to supply this amount of power?
I wouldn't have an issue with buying the kits and then replacement parts. I would just need to know which ones to get.

2) I would need one AC/DC converter to power the MintyBoost instead of batteries. Any ideas of what I can use for that?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Use MintyBoost to power the Raspberry Pi?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Minty can't be modified for 1A output. It would need to be redesigned around a different chip.

But if you have AC power available, why use a boost converter at all? Just get a 5v regulated supply. One of these with some usb connectors spliced on will easily power a whole Pi rack.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”