Hot Hot Chip and No Charging

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Flipper1

Hot Hot Chip and No Charging

Post by Flipper1 »

Hi, I'd like a bit of advice on whether or not my MintyBoost has been hosed. I got it a few months ago, delayed the project a while, and finally got it put together and seemingly working. I had about 5V output, and my iPod even registered as charging.

I removed the batteries and trimmed the leads as best I could with a BANNED S2. I believe some leads may have been touching when I put the batteries back in, and that could be the source of my problems, but I'm not sure about that.

What happens now is that the chip on the MintyBoost gets very, very hot to the touch within 5 seconds of inserting the batteries. I'm not sure exactly what the output is either, because around the same time, something started going wrong with my DMM - it now tells me that fresh AA batteries are ~.4-.5V and other things that don't make much sense. I've changes its batteries to no avail, so I'm not really sure what's going on here. I'm confident that no leads are now touching, and I think all my joints look good, but you can judge from these pictures.

Again, you can see that I don't have the right tool to trim those all the way down. The board looks reasonably clean in real life, but man, that macro mode sure brings out the gunk and the flaws. Any suggestions?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

um, seems pretty clear to me that some of those wires were shorting... possibly damaging your kit. you'll need to replace the max756, most likely. id strongly suggest next time buying the right tool for the job... :(

Flipper1

Post by Flipper1 »

Thanks for your quick reply, that pretty much confirms my thoughts. Any suggestion on where to buy just the max756? I'm on the Maxim website, and I guess I'm confused about which package this is. Same deal on Digikey. The price, even for just one, seems like it'll be reasonable as long as they aren't too harsh with the shipping. Again, thanks for creating this very cool project, and I'd appreciate some guidance on which package to buy.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you want 8-DIP package, probably -CPA

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”