How to Mount Circuit Board into Tin?

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Meriwether_R

How to Mount Circuit Board into Tin?

Post by Meriwether_R »

I followed the directions, but the double-sided sticky pad provided is near useless. The circuit board comes off of the pad every time I pull the USB cable out of the plug. I tried a 3M command strip with the same results. What's the best way to mount it in the tin? Wishing I had some Sugru, but that wouldn't get here before Christmas, at which time I was hoping to have given the thing to my dad...

adafruit_support_rick

Re: How to Mount Circuit Board into Tin?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Meriwether_R wrote:I followed the directions, but the double-sided sticky pad provided is near useless.
Really? That's very strange. Mine is rock solid. Check it again - sometimes, the paper back in splits in half - it looks like you peeled it off. but there's still some left.

If it still doesn't work for you, you can buy the same stuff at any hardware store. Really - it should work.

NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

I am experiencing the same problem! but mine is due to the circuit heating up. Do you have any suggestions for alternatives? (I need these for X-mas)

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The circuit gets hot, but I'm not sure the circuit should get that hot. Does your Boost seem to be working properly otherwise? Are you getting the correct voltage readings according to the tutorial? What kind of batteries are you using? You might want to check it over for a short-circuit.

A hardware store might have some sort of hi-temperature tape. A thick blob of clear silicone adhesive might work, but check the temperature ratings on it. Really, anything that's non-conductive and thick enough to keep the circuit from touching the tin.

PinkElf

Post by PinkElf »

I got the same problems.

My tape seperated itself, so I used some double sided tape I had lying around. It only holds as long as I haven't had the device in use. After a short while, it gets loose due to the heat.
I got optimum readings concerning voltage when I measured it as per the tutorial when putting it together.

I can get my thermometer (thermocouple) this weekend and measure how hot the surface of the IC gets...

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I can get my thermometer (thermocouple) this weekend and measure how hot the surface of the IC gets
An easy test is the 'sizzle' test. If you lick your finger and touch it to the chip and it sizzles, it is too hot. If not, it is fine. These chips do run hot when charging a high current load like a phone.

PinkElf

Post by PinkElf »

I did the sizzle test because it was recommended in the tutorial and the "before posting....read this" topic and did not hear sizzling.

I just worry because it gets so hot that the tape seperates from the box and you wrote that this could mean the device is too hot.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have had good luck with 3M brand double-sided foam tape. The adhesive sticks even when the board heats up.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”