iOS charges for 20%~ and then says device not supported

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Xstefanx

iOS charges for 20%~ and then says device not supported

Post by Xstefanx »

I recently put together a v3 for my wife for Xmas. I tested it before putti it in the case with some alkaline batteries and my iPhone 5 and it ticked it up a couple of % before I stopped it. Cased it up and wrapped it. She opened it and we got to testing it with some Sanyo end loop pros (XX's). Everything looked great for a out 20% of a charge. Then it gave the "this device is not supported" message. I thought maybe it was just getting too hot so I waited a while and tried again. Got the same error. Waited a while again and used the other set of batteries I got in my 4 pack and it started working. It worked for another 20% and gave the error again. I checked the voltage on the USB pins and everything looks perfect.

It seems as if it has something to do with the batteries getting to a certain level of capacity since they work for a while and then stop. I thought maybe they had died, but the charger they came with says they're still full, or at least too full to charge >.<

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: iOS charges for 20%~ and then says device not supported

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

20% charge on an iPhone from a pair of AA's is not unreasonable. The 'device not supported' message may be the result of the charge current dropping too low. When you assembled the kit, did you do the voltage tests on the middle two USB pins?

Xstefanx

Post by Xstefanx »

I tested it the other night before posting here and I believe they were right under 2 volts. I'll double check it tonight. I don't think the 20% is totally unreasonable either, but the problem is the charger is recognizing them as full still. If I can't recharge them then I'm not really sure what to do with them >.<

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

but the problem is the charger is recognizing them as full still
Hmmm. That might be a problem with the charger. It is unlikely that the eneloops would have a full charge voltage after putting 20% charge into the iPhone. What voltage do you measure at the battery input? (no phone connected).

Xstefanx

Post by Xstefanx »

The batteries by themselves are each about 1.18-1.21v. That seems like they're probably dead right? In the MB I measure exactly 5v on pins 1 and 4. Both 1-2 and 1-3 give 1.98-2v.

The batteries and charger are brand new, so it would suck if it really is busted. The manual says a solid light means they're charged and a blinking might means they're charging. They have solid lights on the charger right now. I'm going to leave them plugged in over night and see what happens.

Xstefanx

Post by Xstefanx »

It looks as if the manual with the charger was wrong. The lights stayed solid while I was still up last night for 4-5 hours. When I got up this morning the lights had turned off. I checked the voltage and they're up to 1.44~. Looks like the solid lights mean that they're charging and full is when the lights are turned off.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Xstefanx wrote:Looks like the solid lights mean that they're charging and full is when the lights are turned off.
Great! Then everything makes sense now.

Seems kind of like kind of an odd design on your charger, though. I don't think I've ever seen one with no positive indication of charge complete. I don't blame you for being confused. We should find out who designed it and send them a copy of this book

Xstefanx

Post by Xstefanx »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”