Output Voltage is low

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dbens293

Output Voltage is low

Post by dbens293 »

Hi,
I recently ordered, received, and built a MintyBoost, but i am having a problem with it charging my USB devices. I tried connecting 2 D batteries in series as the input for the device, but it seems that the output voltage keeps dropping down below the 4.5 volt level which makes the device toggle back and forth between saying it's charging and not charging. I also tried connecting 4, 3.7 volt batteries all in parallel as the power supply. The open circuit voltage for the batteries is 4.2 volts, but i am still having the exact same problem as before with the output of the MintyBoost dropping too low. Has this been an issue before?
Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Output Voltage is low

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What are you trying to charge with it? Are you measuring the output at the MintyBoost, or at the other end of the charging cable?

dbens293

Post by dbens293 »

I am trying to charge a Zune HD, and I am measuring the voltage at the pins of the USB port that is soldered on the PCB.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you post photos of the front & back of the board we can check your assembly. It is also sometimes the case that the device is trying to draw more than 500mA from the MintyBoost. There were no charging standards until a few year ago, and not all devices follow them. Some devices behave better if you short together the two center pins of the USP socket.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”