minty boost frist attempt

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Hammer26

minty boost frist attempt

Post by Hammer26 »

I just built my first electronic bored and first time soldering, ever. Anyhow my MB has the chip soldered directly onto the bored. Only realized it after it happened... Anyhow also soldered a resister into the wrong spot finally got that fixed. But it works, anyhow it did for a few minutes and now my phone doesn't even notice its plugged in. I'm using an Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm thinking that its doing this because the batteries may be dead or to low.

Voltage -
in - 2
out - 4.5

Will be buying another one when I can find 30 dollars again, or I can get this to work which ever comes first. Here is a few pictures. I know my soldering is bad and I forgot the cradle for the chip, I also added in a switch to turn it on and off.
Attachments
20130304_201834.jpg
20130304_201834.jpg (295.46 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
20130304_201759.jpg
20130304_201759.jpg (307.47 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

Hammer26

Re: minty boost frist attempt

Post by Hammer26 »

Since rechargeable batteries are 1.2 volts instead of 1.5 could that have something to do with it?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Rechargeables do work - as long as they are charged up well.

I see a few solder joints that might be causing you some problems. The joints on the USB connector in particular do not look like they have flowed well onto the solder pad. This will make for an unreliable connection. Looks like maybe you were working too fast and didn't give the iron enough time to re-heat after each joint. I'd go back over it with a clean-hot iron and re-flow any joints that do not look smooth and shiny, or haven't flowed well onto both the pin and the pad.

Check out this guide for tips on how to fix common soldering problems: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

Hammer26

Post by Hammer26 »

Sorry for the delay. I do plan on trying to solder some spots when I get the chance and see if that works. Work is starting to overtake my free time. Also want to watch some more videos on YouTube about soldering :lol:

I showed a friend and he thinks that the resister I had to remove and reset that I put in the wrong spot might be cooked. Either way I feel I spent my money wisely, its all about learning and I figured I'd mess the first one up. I just hope I can salvage it.

adafruit_support_bill

Work is starting to overtake my free time.
I hate when that happens! :D
You have to work pretty hard to cook a resistor. I'd expect to see a lot of burnt flux if that were the case. I'd start by re-working the suspect solder joints, and if the voltages still don't look right, we can look into the resistors.

Hammer26

Post by Hammer26 »

I'm really thinking its because I forgot the cradle for the chip and or the fact that I broke the resister (the wire on it) when I removed it to reset it.

adafruit_support_bill

Considering that it worked for a few minutes, I think that an intermittent connection is more likely the problem.

Hammer26

Post by Hammer26 »

Stupid question, as I have redone the soldering on my bored and it still discharging my phone. Should I have my phone off to charge? I was under the impression this will charge my phone. Also should I go ahead and solder the two center pins together on the usb?

Hammer26

Post by Hammer26 »

I got it to work, did find a loose connection with the wire from the switch to the bored and also redid some of the solder joints on the bored to. Next will be to get a lithium battery and charger. :mrgreen:
It does take awhile to charge only one percent though.

adafruit_support_bill

Should I have my phone off to charge?
Yes. Many phones disable power-saving modes when they detect that they are plugged in. You will get a better charge if the phone is turned off.

Hammer26

Post by Hammer26 »

Well I just re-soldered everything again for a third time and still found loose connections. Seems to be charging fine now, took out my switch since it had light wire on it and keep breaking.

Power saving mode seems to be staying enabled also, still takes forever to charge a couple of percents. That normal even turned off?

adafruit_support_bill

The max output of the Mintyboost is 500mA. That is the USB standard. Many AC chargers now support a 1A "fast charge" extension to the standard for charging high-capacity phones. The Minty does not support Fast Charge.

Hammer26

Post by Hammer26 »

Hmmm, some reason I thought it charged faster on my computer. Anyhow I'm planning on getting your 6600ah LiPo battery and a charge controller to hook up to this. I'm just glade I got it working properly.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”