USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1.2 + MintyBoost + LiPo + TE generator

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
danidub

USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1.2 + MintyBoost + LiPo + TE generator

Post by danidub »

Hello!
I'm trying to develop a USB charger for my mobile devices, powered by heat (TE generator)

If I use your USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1.2 (http://www.adafruit.com/products/259) + LiPo 2700mAh 3.7V + MintyBoost, I'll be able to charge my devices?
The idea is to connect the TE generator to the "DCIN" in the USB LiPo charger, blah blah, goes the picture!
stove-electronics.gif
stove-electronics.gif (46.42 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
My previous forum question was, if this USB LiPo charger can charge while a load is present, the answer was yes!
Now my question is when using MintyBoost with LiPo batteries.
In the "Minty Boost User manual - Choosing batteries" (http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/power.html)
It says this:

"Lithium Ion Polymer

Use only lithium ion/poly cell with a protection circuit. The mintyboost draws a lot of current and will drain the battery all the way down, unprotected raw cells will almost certainly be damaged, either bursting, catching on fire, leaking fluid, etc. Really, we mean it!"

Using this configuration pictured, do I need a protection circuit? The USB LiPo charger has one? any ideas or suggestions on this setup? can we apply this circuit using solar pannels instead of TE generators?

Thank you very much!
Daniel P.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1.2 + MintyBoost + LiPo + TE generator

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you use the LiPo cells in the Adafruit store you are safe, since they have protection circuits built-in. The charger will protect against over-charging. The protection circuit in the LiPo cell will protect the cell from discharging beyond the safe level.

Beware of cells designed for radio-control aircraft use. They usually omit the protection circuit, since it is better to kill a battery and/or risk a fire than to crash because the radio cuts out.

danidub

Post by danidub »

Thank you for your quick answer, the battery vas boughted in April 2012 from Adafruit model PID 328, 2700mAh 3.7V LiPo. Hope they are protected! can you confirm this?

Thank you,
Daniel

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Yes. We don't stock any cells without protection circuits.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”