Minty boost charging, but plastic battery case melting

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hriday

Minty boost charging, but plastic battery case melting

Post by hriday »

I bought your kit a few months ago, and soldered it yesterday. All the tests were good, and the voltage readings were good too. I was able to connect my iphone, and charge it. But after a few minutes, I saw smoke, and it turned out that the battery case was melting at one end of one battery. I stopped the charge, and changed the batteries, but after a few minutes, it was the same result.

It's heating up at exactly the same place the second time too. I have tried enloop, energizer and duracell batteries (I don't think it has anything to do with it, but...)

I have shorted the middle two connections on the USB connect to allow for the device to be a "valid" charging device on the iphone.

Any thoughts?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Minty boost charging, but plastic battery case melting

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Sounds like a short-circuit. Don't try to use it until we get this fixed!
Please post clear detailed pictures of both side of the MintyBoost circuit board, and also of the battery case.

hriday

Post by hriday »

I think I figured it out. It's not the circuit. It works when the whole thing is out of the case. I think the metal in the case is shorting the circuit. I'll set up a small insulating layer.

Can weak batteries bring up the "device not supported" message? It works for sometime out of the case, and I get this message. Wasn't getting it yesterday.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

hriday wrote:I think the metal in the case is shorting the circuit. I'll set up a small insulating layer.
The double-stick foam tape works pretty well for that.
hriday wrote:Can weak batteries bring up the "device not supported" message? It works for sometime out of the case, and I get this message. Wasn't getting it yesterday.
Yeah, weak batteries will do that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”