MintyBoost results

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Dh748

MintyBoost results

Post by Dh748 »

So i'm...basically entirely new to all of this, decided to get started by trying out minty boost, and was hoping to get some feedback and learn a lil from what was going on.

So to details, I bought MintyBoost 3.0 at a radioshack a few days ago and was working on it, and found it was missing a 49.9 ko resistor, in its place was another 75 ko one. I had swapped the 2 AA battery holder for a 4 one because the batteries I planned to use had a 1.2V output on them ( I think thats it :P) Well I didn't want to mess something up by putting a different part on it ( Like I said, extremely green) So I held off on testing it really. I got bored and decided to find out what would happen if I put in the 75 resistor, so I put it in, made sure it was contacting and took some readings. The batteries I am using were energizer NiMH rechargeables. With 2300mAh and in actuality a 1.35V output. well...1.35x4 is 5.4v....Too Much? I dunno. I got the total output from the MB as the 5.4v and a reading from the first and third pin as 3. remembering right these are supposed to be 4.9ish and 2ish. Well I'm a stupid idiot and tried it out on my phone: a droid razr. it charged just fine...no overheating from anything one the board, phone didn't noticably change temp, batteries didnt. the lil converter got...warmish but nowhere near what I was reading it got to (suppose it doesn't really need to boost anything?)

Soo...Feedback On anything I did? Should I not be using this until I get the 49.9? is it fine? Any commentary is appreciated. :)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: MintyBoost results

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

it was missing a 49.9 ko resistor, in its place was another 75 ko one.
Should I not be using this until I get the 49.9? is it fine?
If the phone is charging, don't worry about it. Those resistors are there to make it look like an iPhone charger. Your droid is probably less finicky than an iPhone.
With 2300mAh and in actuality a 1.35V output. well...1.35x4 is 5.4v....Too Much? I dunno. I got the total output from the MB as the 5.4v and a reading from the first and third pin as 3.
This is typical with freshly charged batteries. I expect that the pack output dropped below 5v once it was under load from charging the phone.

With a 4-cell pack, the boost circuit doesn't need to work so hard and will not get so hot. This means less energy wasted as heat and more goes to charging the phone :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”