Problems with MintyBoost project after installing the USB connector

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ekirscht

Problems with MintyBoost project after installing the USB connector

Post by ekirscht »

I cannot say that I am entirely new to electronics, but I am not an expert by far.

I have done the MintyBoost kit before, but I wanted another one that will charge my iPhone.

Before I soldered the USB connector, I was getting about 4.8 volts, and in the data connectors (the two inner connections) I was getting 2.0 or 1.8 volts.

I removed the chip, and the 2 AA batteries and then I soldered the USB connector. After doing so, I put the chip and 2 AA batteries back in, and then instead of getting 4.8 volts, I was getting 1.x volts. I'm worried because on the tutorial it said, if you get 3 volts or lower to check your work. The only thing I installed last was the USB connector, and I'm reasonably sure I didn't foul that up.

I double checked my solder joints and everything, and I checked the ohms on all my resistors, and everything seemed to be reading ok.

I've been taking my desoldering iron to the USB port in the hopes of prying it off (good luck there), and it just does not want to budge. Before I do anything more, I thought it best to post my issue on the forum.

I'm thinking that the chip might have got fried some how. What do you think? If so, is there a way I can just buy the chip without buying the whole kit over again?

Thank you,

Gene

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Problems with MintyBoost project after installing the USB connector

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Soldering in the connector shouldn't change the output - unless you managed to create a short circuit somewhere.

Make sure you have the chip plugged in right. The notch goes toward the edge of the board. Post photos of the front and back of the board.

ekirscht

Post by ekirscht »

Thank you for your reply. I took some photos. I'm fairly certain I put the chip in the correct way. However, after reviewing a few other blogs, I realized that I did not trim down the cables that lead to the battery casing like you suggested to some other customers. I left them at the original length. They have continuity. But you're right, they might be a source of problems too. I don't believe I shorted anything after installing the USB connector.

I did do a continuity check. I can do another posting showing which points have a short.

Thank you,

Gene
Attachments
top (2).jpeg
top (2).jpeg (647.53 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
back edge.jpeg
back edge.jpeg (329.58 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
back.jpeg
back.jpeg (367.24 KiB) Viewed 1901 times

ekirscht

Post by ekirscht »

I took the original picture I posted and circled in yellow all of the points that have continuity without the chip installed. Please review and see if any are shorted out that shouldn't be.

Thank you,

Gene
Attachments
short.jpeg
short.jpeg (374.34 KiB) Viewed 1900 times

adafruit_support_bill

A few of the solder joints look like they might be 'cold' joints. Re-touch those with a clean hot iron until they are smooth and shiny.
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems
If that doesn't improve things, I'd suspect that the chip is fried.

ekirscht

Post by ekirscht »

So what happens after I do this, and discover that the chip is fried? I bought this kit new a few weeks ago. Is there any possibility of getting a replacement chip? Or do I have to buy a new one?

Would it be possible for you to comment on one of my previous posts where I highlighted the the joints in yellow? Are they supposed to have continuity? Because for all I know, I could get another chip and have it do the same thing, just to find out the circuit board is defective some how.

Thank you,

Gene

adafruit_support_bill

Would it be possible for you to comment on one of my previous posts where I highlighted the the joints in yellow? Are they supposed to have continuity?
If you look at the PCB closely, you can see that the joints circled in red are all attached to the positive battery terminal. The joints circled in white are all attached to the switching pin of the IC. Looking at the schematic, these two groups of pins will have DC conductivity to the others via the L1 inductor.

If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread, we can send you a replacement boost converter chip. Please be careful when installing it. Plugging it in backwards will result in another fried chip.
Attachments
minty.jpg
minty.jpg (304.84 KiB) Viewed 1849 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”