MintyBoost buzzing and getting hot

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SwankyB

MintyBoost buzzing and getting hot

Post by SwankyB »

Hey, guys! Bought and assembled my first MintyBoost kit recently, and while I managed to successfully install all components (yes, the right ones, and yes, the right way), the chip gets boiling hot and makes an odd 'buzzing' sound when used.

Nothing happens when the batteries are installed, but nothing is plugged into the USB port...plug in, say, my iPhone 4S, though, and about 5 minutes later you've got yourself a MintyBoost that looks like it's on the verge of melting down.

Thoughts?

Appreciate your time in advance! :)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: MintyBoost buzzing and getting hot

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

the chip gets boiling hot
Does it pass the "sizzle test"?
http://learn.adafruit.com/minty-boost/f-dot-a-q
The maximum temperature for the mintyboost chip is over 100 degrees C, that is hotter than boiling water. If you are worried, lick your finger (a little) and touch the tip of your finger to the top of the LT1302 chip. If you don't hear a sizzle (of the water boiling away), it's just fine.
and makes an odd 'buzzing' sound when used
This is also fairly normal. Sometimes the switching frequency of the boost converter causes the inductor to resonate.

SwankyB

Post by SwankyB »

Wow, I never would have suspected that either of those things were within normal operating parameters...maybe I'm NOT the world's worst hobbyist!

I'll do the 'spit' test and get back to you.

Thanks!
JG

SwankyB

Post by SwankyB »

Well, now I have a different problem; the Mintyboost has stopped getting too hot (which is good), but now it's just not charging the phone. :(

The phone registers the plugin fine (turning on the 'charging' symbol and everything), but the phone seems to be discharging, if anything!!

Thoughts, oh Wise Ones?

JG

adafruit_support_bill

Are the batteries fresh? Make sure you are using good quality high-drain batteries. http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22377
With the phone connected, measure the voltage on the battery terminals. Then measure the voltage between 5v and GND on the USB connector.

SwankyB

Post by SwankyB »

I'm using freshly-charged Energizer 2450mAh rechargeable batteries, so I don't think that's the problem. :(

You'll have to give me a hint...which points on the USB are 5V and GND? It doesn't say on the board itself, which is my usual go-to for figuring that stuff out. :P

Thanks!

JG

dilettant73

Post by dilettant73 »

Hi there,
I just came across this thread looking for reassurance since my minty boost showed exactly the same symptoms (getting hot and making weird noises) and though I am aware of the risk that I am a wee bit off-topic I gotta say this:
Dear Bill,
building the mboost was easily the most intelligent fun I had in a long time. The last time I soldered something must have been some 25 years ago. At the same time it was a very self assuring experience. Even more so when I showed the case to some colleagues of mine and they all "oohed" and "awed" in all the right ways and being able to answer, when asked where I bought (!) it, that I build it myself .... I am pretty certain my street cred. rating spiked there and then. =) (it took a small hit when I had to admit that it's just a kit designed by really smart people who make it seem easy for guys like me but I could keep it from sliding by pointing out that the design and set up of the box was all my doing). Long story short, I was very happy with my minty boost and only slightly nervous noticing said symptoms. BUT, and there is no absolutely no irony involved, discovering your answer all else paled. I realised that not only do I now own a self built emergency charger, cased in a weathered looking box that gets slightly hot and makes freaky noises. No sir. I now have all that and if anybody asks me (and I am so looking forward to this moment) if those symptoms are normal, I'll be able to answer - until I know it by heart I'll have to look this up since I have only a very fuzzy idea what you're talking about - Oh, yeah, "This is fairly normal. Sometimes the switching frequency of the boost converter causes the inductor to resonate." ... be a dear and pass me my sonic screwdriver, will ya!? =)
You made my day - for days!
Thank you! pfb

adafruit_support_bill

Great! Glad you enjoyed the project :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”