Low Battery Indicator - iPhone/touch

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
moses_410

Low Battery Indicator - iPhone/touch

Post by moses_410 »

hey ladyada,
I was just wondering what configuration you would personally use for the low battery indicator. Currently I am using the one below by 'aclight' on the forums but it doesn't seem to work with the iPhone/touch. I am testing that fully tonight, I know that a minty boost with 100k resistors and the below LBI config won't charge, so I'm desoldering the LBI components and trying to charge my touch again.

But I was hoping that you could help me out here.

Thanks alot!

Mike

<><><>
Begin forwarded message:

R1 is 113K DigiKey RHM113KFCT-ND
R2 is 249K DigiKey RHM249KFCT-ND
R3 is 200 ohms DigiKey RHM200FCT-ND
LED1 is a DigiKey P563 or any 25mA LED, any color.

Note that R3 (200 Ohms) has physically moved to just below the LED1 pads.
It is soldered to PIN 1 of the USB connector X1 and the pad junctions of LED1 & original location of R3.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

did it work without the LBI?

moses_410

Post by moses_410 »

hey, I just desoldered the LBI components and tried it out with new batteries and it charged to halfway but then when I checked a half hour later of had gone down to about a quarter.
You don't think that having my touch jailbreaked would have anything to do with of do you?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

try larger resistors maybe?

moses_410

Post by moses_410 »

have you personally tested it with a iPhone/iPod touch.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i dont have a touch but it did work with my roommates iphone when we tested it. ill borrow it again. it could be there was another firmware upgrade and it broke the charging method

Guchmyster

Following Along

Post by Guchmyster »

Hi Moses_410, I was wondering if you've had success with your setup on your IPT? I'm sorta running into the same problem with my touch too...

jody

Post by jody »

Ladyada, I built a mintyboost last week for a friend who has an iPhone. Her firmware is 1.1.2
I built the full kit and used the 100k resistors and used pullup mode. Tested with multimeter and was reading 5 volts out. It charged a ipod mini.
She tested it this weekend using rechargeable nih batteries and they are 2500mAh batteries.
When plugged in it showed charging and after some time icon changes to fully charged then it actually loses a lot of charge if still connected. She left it on all night and it was nearly empty in the morning.
Jody

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ok thanks for the note. ill look at this again today!

savaki

Post by savaki »

Had a similar issue. I've got an iphone (v1.1.2) with a brand spanking new minty boost. Looked like it was charging fine, so I left it over night and when I woke up, most of the charge was gone.

moses_410

Post by moses_410 »

ok, so I know that youre looking into the iPhone/touch thing on the other thread but I was still wondering what resistor config would you recommend for a normal mintyboost (15k resistors pullup)?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”