iPod Touch Problem

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sidster

iPod Touch Problem

Post by Sidster »

Has anyone solved the iPod Touch charging problem? I just bought a kit from adafruit thinking that the Touch would be able to charge on it.

Notes:
Touch does recognize there's a power source going to the unit through the USB cable. I did notice that my screen would flicker when the cable was plugged in. (Not enough power/current being supplied?) The batteries I used were fresh Duracell Alkaline AA's.

I ran my Touch down to 10-20% battery power. Hooked up the USB cable to the adafruit Minty Boost kit I assembled. The Touch recognized the power source so it immediately showed it as charging. Left it alone for a while (remember, I have my unit on standby and had some applications running), and when I came back the battery level looked like it didn't move. I then tried shutting down the Touch and left it alone, came back and it actually was in the Green.. I then started up iSolitaire and played a few hands. I noticed the screen flicker as if trying to keep the screen lit (note it could have been doing this earlier but I wasn't paying attention). Of course I left a application running and put it in standby, and came back to find it back down to 10%. At this point I measured the battery power and found it down to 2.3V, but the output (without load) of Minty Boost to still be at 5V. I might have to try a current draw test to see how much the Touch needs when turned on.. Other tests I was thinking was putting on 2 D cells instead of the AA.. which would really suck since I wanted it to be a small case.

Side note: I'm kind of frustrated since I was told before Xmas that it would work, but bought it after New Year only to find out later it doesn't work. I hope someone can figure a work around. I really don't want to buy another accessory to carry around like one of the other post mentions about a adapter meant for the iPhone.

Sidster

Post by Sidster »

I did a quick measurement on the draw of the Touch.. it's drawing 0.5 A..

Minty Boost gives out 300mA but when the screen flickers, it drops down to 100mA.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”