Solar mintyboost problem

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kevinrs

Solar mintyboost problem

Post by kevinrs »

I am the one that built the solar mintyboost backpack and showed it on the show and tell last week. I am now having an issue apparently with the solar li-po charging circuit. With external power connected only the charge led is displayed, No power or charge complete LEDs. I've tried several supplies that work for other devices.
The voltage at the battery is 4.18V with the battery connected, disconnecting the battery, I still get 4.18V on the battery leads. I am getting 0.02V on the load side, even with the mintyboost unplugged, with the battery at 4.18V and 5V connected to the USB input. With or without the battery connected, the charge LED slowly fades out if I disconnect power.

Any ideas on what has gone wrong?
This worked previously and I made no changes.
2014-05-20 23.22.11resized.jpg
2014-05-20 23.22.11resized.jpg (130.89 KiB) Viewed 1097 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Solar mintyboost problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I can't see much detail in the photo as it is pretty dark. Try near a window or even outside in daylight for better light.

From what I can see, it appears to be mounted in a metal tin. Make sure that all circuitry is insulated from shorts against the enclosure.

kevinrs

Post by kevinrs »

I don't know how much a photo is going to help, since I only soldered 2 components but here's a quick one with flash. the back side of this board has only the capacitor and resistor as possible shortable soldered connections. I mounted the board to a narrower aluminum plate , and that to the case, both with heat sink tape, to help dissipate heat, elevating the shortable connections above the case.
Attachments
2014-05-21 07.52.29resize.jpg
2014-05-21 07.52.29resize.jpg (854.16 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

adafruit_support_bill

We are looking for more than just soldering. Other connections and mounting are also of interest.

Check the voltage at the DC IN terminals when powered by the usb.

kevinrs

Post by kevinrs »

Connected to a samsung cell phone charger, I'm getting 5.22 volts at the DC in terminals. Connected to USB on a desktop computer, 4.97 volts.
Adafruit USB power gauge shows the green OK LED and 1 blue LED flickering occasionally.

adafruit_support_bill

Charge LED only usually means that the input voltage is less than the battery voltage. But that does not seem to be the case here. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can get a replacement out to you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”