RF vehicle tracking device, "Bumper Beepers".

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
antares

Re: RF vehicle tracking device, "Bumper Beepers".

Post by antares »

I might be wrong because I haven't tried it out myself but I think that the metal body of a car would distract the compass anyway. And if the GPS tracker is attached with duct tape like the ones shown in the pictures above this method won't help at all. In such a case a torch would be a way more helpful tool.

But if you still want to do it, how about that: take a strong magnet from an old loudspeaker, electric motor or hard disk drive, affix it somewhere under your car or ask a friend to hide it and try to find that one using a cheap compass first. If you're successful doing that there's a good chance you can find magnetically attached GPS trackers too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”