Li Poly Questions

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sciguy14

Li Poly Questions

Post by sciguy14 »

Hey all, I have a few simple questions about the lithium ion batteries.

1. How can I be sure that my cell battery has built in protection circuitry? It's from a 4-year-old Motorola E815. The battery has four contacts on the back, and is 3.6V.

2. Which of the four contacts on the back are the ones I should attach to the board? They are labeled as follows:
+ -
[] [] [] []
Readings from a multimeter confirm that the left-most pad is positive and the right is negative, but the 3rd pad also appears to be negative. However, the ohmmeter says that it is not connected to the fourth pin. I assume I should be connecting the 1st and last pin to the board, but I just wanted to confirm.

3. What's the deal with the LED on the li-poly board? When does it light up? When charging and when the battery is low? Will it notify when the battery is fully charged? Just curious.

Thanks,
Jeremy

cmolson

Re: Li Poly Questions

Post by cmolson »

I can answer some of your questions.

3 - The light stays on while charging, and will not notify you when the it is fully charged. It will also light up when the battery is low (a bit dim though I think compared to when charging.. maybe I am seeing things though)

Other questions:

1 - Not sure

2 - I have used two different cell phone batteries which also had 4 connectors. I only used the + and -. I believe the other connections are for communication with the phone (gas guage to tell it how charges/discharged it is maybe). Most smart batteries monitor how much current goes into/out of the battery in order to more accurately guage its charge level. (Monitoring voltage only is not a good indication of charge for a lithium battery, they stay around the same voltage, then suddenly drop when discharged. So there is usually a circuit which monitors the current going into and out of the battery to tell you how charged it is).

Hope I helped,

sciguy14

Re: Li Poly Questions

Post by sciguy14 »

That helps, thanks :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”