PLL Help

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
grapeape

PLL Help

Post by grapeape »

Hi All,

I've been building and testing for some time and am having difficulty with the PLL stage. When I program test_pll1() I am seeing a 5Hz wave on pin 10, where the documentation indicates I should be seeing 1Hz. The crystal is being driven correctly and the regulator is working. Any thoughts?

Attempting to tune a program generates the "RF VCO range is too low!" message, which would suggest that my PLL isn't functioning.

Cheers,
John

grapeape

Re: PLL Help

Post by grapeape »

Can anyone think of further tests to isolate the problem? I'm really quite lost at this point.

Buggy222

Post by Buggy222 »

On the laydada webpage follow the Wiki link and look at the "Make" link, and then the PLL. You will see a notation that the frequency will be 5 not 1.

http://ladyada.net/wiki/wavebubble/pll

PLL Notes
when running the test_pll1 code. the rc1a firmware will set Ftest(pin 10) to 5hz (not 1hz as per the pll docs).

grapeape

Post by grapeape »

Thanks Buggy. Not sure how I missed that note.

Is there a good reference around for debugging the PLL stage? I've been stuck here for quite a while. While the PLL section of the Make pages describes the tests to verify functionality along the way, it doesn't offer much help when one of the tests fails.

Bandit

Post by Bandit »

Did you get the other PLL test programs working? Im having problems with those, when I probe the middle of the two resistors for each stage as directed. Im not getting the switch over between around 0V and 2.1V :(

c.b.

Post by c.b. »

Hi Bandit,

I had problems, too, at that stage. I had forgotten to solder the resistor that connects the VCO's outputs to the PLL chip. Some HF went to the PLL chip through the air or I don't know how, anyway sometimes the PLL output flipped and sometimes not.

Bandit

Post by Bandit »

I thought that might be the case so I placed some copper tape over the gap in the track. I would have thought some of the signal would be coupled throught both the air and the FR4 substrate, moreso through the substrate. I'll try putting the resistors on. Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”