Using Firmware

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
westbrookp1

Using Firmware

Post by westbrookp1 »

I apologize for knowing little about the avr and the firmware, but I am trying to run the tests on the circuit. None of them seem to work in the source window of avr insight. I got the isptinyusb from adafruit and installed avr insight. Could anybody give me a step by step process of what I need to do to program the tests and let me know if there is anything else I need to download? Thank you.

cmolson

Re: Using Firmware

Post by cmolson »

not sure about avr insight... Although I remember running into a problem using linux, I ended up downloading winavr I think, compiling the source, and using avrdude to program the chip. It should explain it in the make section on this site. I also used a usbtiny programmer from ladyada (has come in use for many other things as well).

Maybe somebody else can write the step-by-step...

westbrookp1

Post by westbrookp1 »

I just installed avr studio and a comocom to link w/ winavr. Do i need to link with avr dude, and how exactly do i do this?

westbrookp1

Post by westbrookp1 »

I want to use avr studio but it wont let me select atmega88, it will only let me select atmega88P. I purchased the atmega88, can i use atmega88P setting for atmega88?

c.b.

Post by c.b. »

To make the test firmware, just open main.c in your favourite text editor and uncomment the desired test, for example

Code: Select all

pll_init();

test_resistors();      // test the digital potentiometers
	//test_DC();             // sweep DC offset (PWM)
	//test_powerswitch();    // turn power switches on & off
	//test_vcos();           // test VCOs: sweep and bandwidth
	//test_pll1();           // simple crystal/function test
	//test_uart();
Then open Makefile and change AVRDUDE_PORT to the COM port of your programmer. Change AVRDUDE_PROGRAMMER to your programmer id (usbtiny).
Then open a command prompt, change to your source directory and issue "make program". This should compile, link and burn the firmware to your atmega. Issue only "make" if you not want to program the device, just compile and link.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”