Confused about parts

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
5wUBA5wa

Confused about parts

Post by 5wUBA5wa »

I have a pile of parts from Mouser, Digikey, and other places but I'm still missing a few key components, and on top of that I found that some of my numbers are off. Should I trust the parts list on the "Make" part of the Wave Bubble page, or the parts list here (http://ladyada.net/wiki/wavebubble/partslists)?

If the resistor needed says 1/4w, and I got 1/8w, does that mean I can't use it? What about tolerences (1% vs 5%)? Same question with capacitors, except for voltages.

Should I just go through and buy everything on the parts list from the link provided and shell out the $110? At what point is it okay to start making substitutions from the original parts list? Halp!

Edit: Also, on the Wiki Errita (http://ladyada.net/wiki/wavebubble/errata), there's an aweful lot of parts that say "do not use," and also suggested replacements. is this included in the parts list?

c.b.

Re: Confused about parts

Post by c.b. »

I was quite comfortable with the partslist and bought most parts at Digikey. 1206 R's and C's and 0603 R's I had bought as a kit previously at eBay. 1% tolerance is important if noted in the partslist. 1/8W resistors should work as well, make sure that they're of 1206 size.
Well, the VCO's are a problem, at least if you live in Europe (expensive shipping). If you order at Minicircuits consider also buying the BANNED-84 for the gain stage since the proposed SXA-389 is hard to get. I also succeeded in using an ADL5320.
Keep in mind that the information in the "Make" section supersedes the schematic and the errata supersedes the "Make" section!

5wUBA5wa

Post by 5wUBA5wa »

c.b. wrote:I was quite comfortable with the partslist and bought most parts at Digikey. 1206 R's and C's and 0603 R's I had bought as a kit previously at eBay. 1% tolerance is important if noted in the partslist. 1/8W resistors should work as well, make sure that they're of 1206 size.
Well, the VCO's are a problem, at least if you live in Europe (expensive shipping). If you order at Minicircuits consider also buying the BANNED-84 for the gain stage since the proposed SXA-389 is hard to get. I also succeeded in using an ADL5320.
Keep in mind that the information in the "Make" section supersedes the schematic and the errata supersedes the "Make" section!
Thanks for the reply!

I already have all the ICs, and the VCOs, my problem is just with the various resistors and capacitors. I was told that the BANNED-84 would make a good replacement for the SXA-389 and I think that's what I'm gonna do.

So the "errata" supersedes the "make" section, which supersedes the schematic. What about the parts list, where does that fit in? Is that what you mean by schematic?

I'm thinking of just re-ordering all the resistors/capacitors from the parts list despite most having a min purchase of 10, just to make sure I have the right parts. Going through what I have individually seems like quite a pain in the ass, and I don't mind having some extra parts laying around.

c.b.

Post by c.b. »

I think the partslist must be updated with the errata.
You should consider buying a resistor/capacitor kit like this one for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/1206-resistor-50-va ... 335855aeaa

5wUBA5wa

Post by 5wUBA5wa »

c.b. wrote:I think the partslist must be updated with the errata.
You should consider buying a resistor/capacitor kit like this one for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/1206-resistor-50-va ... 335855aeaa
Yes but those are all 5% tolerences, and as said before sometimes 1% is needed. Also an issue about various packaging.

So, aside from all the IC's ports VCOs etc., should I just go ahead and buy exactly every resistor/capacitor from the parts list?

kite

Post by kite »

c.b. wrote:I was quite comfortable with the partslist and bought most parts at Digikey. 1206 R's and C's and 0603 R's I had bought as a kit previously at eBay. 1% tolerance is important if noted in the partslist. 1/8W resistors should work as well, make sure that they're of 1206 size.
I am in BANNED and the VCO is costing me a lot. Also i have been unable to find any substitutes for it.
I was planning to design a VCO based on the trimless circuit design using max2620.
Any ideas about how i can get the VCO ?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”