New VCO's

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
spyguy99

New VCO's

Post by spyguy99 »

My friend and are currently working on our Wave Bubbles and we were looking at the Wave Bubble 2010 (http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14782) and we wondering what would we need to do to make the new suggested VCOs work with the old board. Can we just not solder the 12v boost converter jump the 5v rail to the 12v rail? We would like the full range that the new VCOs offer but we are not sure how exactly to go about that. Are there also any of the ICs that won't be compatible with these new VCOs?

Thanks for your help.

TheFallen

Re: New VCO's

Post by TheFallen »

I need to have a proper look at this, but based on 5 mins thinking:
ROS-1300+ = +8dBm
ROS-2700-1819+ = +3.3dBm

Max PLL input = 0dBm

So you'll probably need to have a fiddle with the attenuator network. The PA's are the only thing running on the +5v/+6V rail so aside from noise from the VCOs/PAs affecting the PAs/VCOs I'd think you'd be okay schematic wise.

PCB wise the best place I can see would be C9 and C13.

spyguy99

Post by spyguy99 »

Ok so after finishing the 5v booster supply we should run the connection from C9 to C13 (without soldering the C13 capacitor) and that will supply 5v to the new VCOs?

Also by using the 5v VCOs and skipping the 12V gain stage, are we hindering the compatibility of any of the parts/directions in the following steps because I wasn't sure if anything else besides the VCOs used the 12V supply.

Thanks again!

TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

I don't think you'd loose anything by soldering in C13,but yes, that should do the trick.

There is no +12V gain stage, only the VCOs are powered off of the +12V rail. The gain stage is powered off of the +5/6V rail. However You really will need to check the output power of the new VCOs and compare them to the old VCOs.

Old:
ROS-2500+ is 7.5dBm
ROS-1700W+ is 8dBm

New:
ROS-2700-1819+ is 3.3dBm
ROS-1300+ is 8dBm

You can leave the low band attenuator alone, but the high band one will limit you unnecessarily, you'll need to tweak the values some. I've no idea how much.

ItalianPride

Post by ItalianPride »

Ok, thanks. We are both getting the 5V with the recommended tests but both my friend and I are failing to pass the 3.3V test. I am not getting anything while he is getting a slowly increasing voltage that hovers around 1.6-2.0 volts. Do you have any suggestions. We looked through the posts on other forms without much success.

kite

Post by kite »

are there any substitutes for ROS 2500 from any other company other than minicircuits ?
also any cheaper substitutes ?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”