Questions about the RF amp

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hxhl95

Questions about the RF amp

Post by hxhl95 »

Hi all,

Just have a few questions about using the BANNED-84. The Minicircuits datasheet for the amp says it should be used at min 5.4, max 6.2V. The wave bubble schematic has the amp being fed with 5V. Why doesn't this damage it? The rest of the rf section follows the "recommended application circuit" exactly, right?

Also, how is the amp section tuned? The wave bubble pages say the lower freq side is tuned to ~1Ghz and the higher freq side is tuned to ~2Ghz. Can I operate effectively on 500Mhz and 1400Mhz, lets say, without changing the chokes and caps? Is the tuning high-Q (is that even the right term to be using)? If not, how do I determine what values are necessary for a certain frequency band?

Thanks a bunch :D

Mictronics

Re: Questions about the RF amp

Post by Mictronics »

The 5v PSU of te WB2010 works with more than 5V, the SMPS is set to 5.8V. I run my board initally with 5V and BANNED are still fine. Only output power was lower.

The amp section is tuned for broadband operation, you can use the full operating range of both VCOs.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”