Where are we supposed to put the extra caps?

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikewitt

Where are we supposed to put the extra caps?

Post by mikewitt »

So do we put the caps on top of R40 and 42? or on top of 41 and 43? or both? (40 and 42 go back into part of the PLL, and 41 and 43 go to ground) I want to guess that it's probably 40 and 42, but my guesses make gremlins appear.

I'm just fixing up the boards before I send them out (I saw that someone else is doing that too, but I'm sending it out to BatchPCB, they're the SparkFun one, and they don't allow that 0.019685" drill size that makes up 90% of the holes on the main board anyways. So I need to fix it. [oh, and Gold Phoenix is their "downstream" provider])

I also have another question: On the downloads page, it says that the jacket and the pin on the DC plug are switched. Is this really true? You don't mention it anywhere else, even in the Make -> Battery page.

Oh, and thank you Ladyada for this awesome project.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i would wait a little until i fix and release RC1a with fixes

evilroot

Post by evilroot »

Looking at the datasheet for the power plug and the board layout, the RC1 layout seems to be correct in regards to the power jack. I intend to do charging via the USB port anyways, so I'm not terribly worried about it either way. The capacitors are an issue, the make section is really ambiguous about them . . . . so I'd really love clarification on this myself!

Thanks ladyada for this great design, its been a long time since I've been really fired up about fabricating something! I'll eagerly await the RC1a release.

mikewitt

Post by mikewitt »

ladyada wrote:i would wait a little until i fix and release RC1a with fixes
Ok, I'll wait.

I was also wondering, where did you get your PCBs? I looked, and NEVER found anything near that "~$25" price point for the PCBs. (You say that on the first page of the make section). The best price I found was ~$70 (incl. shipping, setup, _one_ of the two battery boards, the main board and the top board).

One thing you might want to do if you can is to make the typeface on the boards that say "Ladyada" and "1.0" those fonts use traces that are too thin for a few of the manufacturing houses I got quotes from (it's a 0.0040" trace).

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

at barebonespcb.com the boards are $26.29 each if you order 3. its one of those things that if you are ordering only one (because you are not going to mess up) then you are probably good enough that you order PCBs once in a while and can tile it on.
any good house can cope with the 'graphics' traces but if you want to change the PCB then go ahead but you cannot remove the attributions.

mikewitt

Post by mikewitt »

I don't remove the attributions, I just move them to the silkscreen layer. (And also put it on the topmost board, where it's visible).

And thanks for the help with where to get the boards.

audieddie

hello ladyada.

Post by audieddie »

I was wondering what your timeline is for the release of the corrected files to RC1? Not a request for you to do it, just a question so I can perhaps plan around my multitude of projects and hobby efforts.

hahahehihoha

WBRC1 final +CAP placement

Post by hahahehihoha »

WB.RC1:

Is it correct that ONE 0.1uf CAP needs to be placed on EACH of the two 10K Resistors on the top side in the PLL section: R41 and R43?

This is ambiguous to me now for some reason, I lost the understanding.

dennis84

Post by dennis84 »

Yes that's correct.. it's the most logical and they must be placed on top of the 2 1206 resistors, the only 1206 resistors are R41 and R43

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”