Burning Fuses

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
viperspike

Burning Fuses

Post by viperspike »

I recently finished soldering 2 complete WB2010 Rev 2a (minus JP 3,4,7). I tested the the voltages and noticed 21.3 on the 28v rail and I'm pretty sure my 3.3V rail is bad on both boards too as I get the following readings

1-2 = 4.7V
Open= 1.3V
2-3 = 5.1V

Also, is there a good guide on how to set the fuses and load the firmware? I'm a total noob at this project and programming. any help would be greatly appriciated.

I plugged the USB in and Win7 discovered USB 232 UART and installed USB Serial Converter and USB Serial Port (Comm 3 for WB1 and Comm 4 for WB2.)

I bought a USB AVR Programmer from Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USBASP-USB-AVR- ... 2318c6b240

and rewired it to a 6 pin connection. To start I verified JP2 pin 1 to the power switch and the AVR programmer pins are labled on the board and rewired from there. verified with a multimeter.

Does anyone have a step by step, including what programs used to set fuses and push firmware?

As per the wavebubble site it simply says "Burn the fuses, then compile the code with the LED test uncommented." I have no idea how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
DSC_3186 (Custom).JPG
DSC_3186 (Custom).JPG (357.92 KiB) Viewed 2893 times

viperspike

Re: Burning Fuses

Post by viperspike »

I think I figured out the firmware and the fuses. Using my USBASP I pushed the main.hex file to the board and it erased, flashed and verified the transfer with fuses ok. I then set the fuses to that listed on the wiki page
lfuse = 0xE2
Hfuse = 0xD5
efuse = 0xFF

on the efuse it said that it returned an error and was set to 7, then asked if i wanted to change it back. i selected yes.

When i try the efuse again it says its currently set to 0xFF and trying to change to 7, did I want to change it back, so it seems that it is set to 0xFF to begin with.

I think all that I need to do is put programs on it using the USB connection, but im unsure how to do that, or if I missed anything until this point.

Anyone have any ideas about about my JP7 setting? 1-2 or 2-3? I'm running if off of a Li-po battery if that helps. Are there any operating instructions for the wavebubble? if i unplug the serial cable it stays on until i plug the serial cable back into the usbasp programmer with it disconnected from the computer :)

Thanks - Viperspike

spacedoggy

Post by spacedoggy »

have you connected a terminal application to your wave bubble via USB to see output of the firmware program?

simple terminal is avalable in the arduino software. connect to the com port assigned to the WB serial device and you should see output.

putty is also a good terminal app btw

viperspike

Post by viperspike »

Just an update, I finally pushed the test firmware to the board, along with setting the fuses.

Check out this how to. http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/avrdude.html

I then attached the Mini USB cable to the WB and downloaded putty. At the bottom of the main putty window is the serial tab, set it to whatever comm port your WB is along with a baud rate of 19200. Then click on session at the top of the putty window and choose serial. Hit the power button on your WB and begin the "testing".

I then tried to load the actual firmware, found here http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22552

When I load the main.hex file the putty window returns nothing but weird characters. Does anyone know if I need to load something in addition to the main.hex file?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”