Voltage level

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lightningserpent

Voltage level

Post by lightningserpent »

I have assembled the power section on the RC1a minus the 12v section. when i attach power to the board my volt meter reads ~4v, but when I push the power button the voltage drops to 0 and my power supply get hot. I've tried a couple different supplies. the meter seems to show everything is connected, but honestly I am lost. I cannot see any shorts on the board, and nothing gets hot(except for the power supply). I would appreciate any suggestions offered.

viperspike

Re: Voltage level

Post by viperspike »

double check this before you start. But I would check

IC2
pin 5 to ground = power supply voltage
pin 1 to ground = 12VDC

IC1
pin 1 to ground = power supply voltage
pin 5 to ground = 6VDC

IC4
pin 2 = power supply voltage
pin 3 to ground = 24VDC

be careful not to short those pins on the IC together when shooting for voltage. you could also move over to the diodes it that makes it easier. I hooked up my new avr programmer and actually programmed my WB2010 ver2b with the Programmer set to 5vdb. But when i pressed the power button with the avr programmer hooked up, it smoked IC1 for me. Now instead of 3.3VDC I get about 4VDC. you might have smoked one of the power IC's causing your problems. I would start there if it were me, the closer to when the power is actually generated, the more components you eliminate from the possibilities. - Viperspike

lightningserpent

every IC reads 0v, my power supply readout drops to 0v when the wave bubble is turned on. I am going to reorder the IC's, and go from there (i ordered multiple 3v3's but singles on the others). Thank you for this information. I will be more prepared on my next go.

evilroot

Post by evilroot »

I rather doubt the problem is with the chips themselves. It sounds like you have either a bridged connection, wrong component placed, chip backwards, or other issue that is causing a short somewhere down the line. That your power supply output drops to 0 when you switch the device on is a dead giveaway that there's a serious short somewhere, check and double-check your work and find it!

lightningserpent

Reattached the new IC's and inductors (they dont remove very well). Voltages check out...almost. IC1 and IC2 check out perfectly (3.27 and 5.1). IC4 pin2 reads input voltage as it should and pin three also matches input voltage. however when I read at the cap I get 21.2v. Then I realized i had an 820k resistor on R7. I had an old 1.0M from another project i was going to replace the 820k with the 1M, but when i check the resistor with my meter it read over limit, even on the 20M setting. I will order a 1M resistor with my next batch of parts. Hopefully that will get me up to 28v. Thanks for your help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”