Wave Bubble Breadboard or Strip board

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tadongdropbox

Wave Bubble Breadboard or Strip board

Post by tadongdropbox »

Has anyone done this project on a breadboard or strip board using through hole components?

lightningserpent

Re: Wave Bubble Breadboard or Strip board

Post by lightningserpent »

The sheer number and type of components would be a tremendous obstacle to overcome. this project would be huge as a through hole. Finding comparable through-hole parts would also be a lot of work. here is a link to the wiki parts list for RC1a:
http://ladyada.net/wiki/wavebubble/partslists
This gives you an idea of what would need replaced but a cursory glance at the errata page and a stroll through the forum is also in order.

tadongdropbox

Post by tadongdropbox »

Thanks. Yup, I saw the list for both the original as well as 2010 updated versions.

My mentor, who got me into amateur radio and electronics, doesn't have the nerves of steel as he did a decade ago, so has difficulty soldering SMT components even with macrosope. I'd like to help him on his way with a strip board version using through hole components. Just need to get a through hole version of the BOM.

tadongdropbox

Re: 2010 Wave Bubble on Breadboard or Strip board

Post by tadongdropbox »

Thanks to Michael, the first through hole component is in the BOM: the Atmega 328P in DIP package.

TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

You won't find the power supplies or the frequency generation parts in through hole. Actually it's not particularly easy to find them (the VCOs and LMX2433) in SMD.

losthorizonmba

Post by losthorizonmba »

Yup, am beginning to see that. The passive components are easy to procure. Guess I'll have to use SMT to DIP adapters.

losthorizonmba

Post by losthorizonmba »

I was able to get the VCOs from mini circuits. Is the LMX2433TM/NOPB-ND from digi key the one required?
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/567747

tadongdropbox

Through hole substitute for LM2731Y

Post by tadongdropbox »

Can anyone suggest a through hole substitute for the PMIC - Voltage Regulators - DC DC Switching Regulators
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/565263
Thanks

tadongdropbox

IC12 substitute

Post by tadongdropbox »

INSEAD

Post by INSEAD »

How's the project coming along? Do you have to use SMT to DIP adapters? What's the size of the veroboard?

losthorizonmba

Arrival of Board and RF components from minicircuits

Post by losthorizonmba »

Hi guys and gals,
So I'm starting the Veroboard/Stripboard project.... Have received the major RF components from Mini-Circuits --- duplicates of the ROS-1300 and ROS-2700-1819 and ten BANNED-84. I'm building BOTH the PCB and Veroboard versions. Based on my colleague's back of napkin calculations, the continuous ground plane of the 11.5"x19.5" board should increase range by 45-70%.
Attachments
1wave bubble comps.jpg
1wave bubble comps.jpg (899.34 KiB) Viewed 4846 times

losthorizonmba

Hakko FX-888 Soldering Tip

Post by losthorizonmba »

Anyone know what's the ideal selection of tips to get for the Hakko FX-888? Thanks

losthorizonmba

Dimension Comparison between VB/SB and PCB

Post by losthorizonmba »

Just a heads up on the comparison of 2D-dimensions between old-school veroboard/stripboard versus aqisnotliqui's PCB. (BTW, three of my PhD students have validated aqisnotliqui's PCB as correct). Votes on which one will have greater range using same antennas?
Attachments
Veroboard/Stripboard versus aqisnotliqui's PCB
Veroboard/Stripboard versus aqisnotliqui's PCB
1medium veroboard.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 4845 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”