change of vco

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kad

change of vco

Post by kad »

can i use crystek's 5V vco's instead of mini-circuits since shipping charge in BANNED is as high as 100$???
please reply urgent!!
thank you

lightningserpent

Re: change of vco

Post by lightningserpent »

Depends on a few things:

1) Are you using RC1a boards or WB2010 boards? RC1a boards use 12v VCOs by default. You can use 5v VCO with slight modification. WB2010 have a 5v VCO jumper (I think, I have only seen the schematic).

2) Are the tuning voltage values within capabilities of the wave bubble? You may need to use a T-Attenuator calculator to determine the correct resistors for the Max Vtune if the values are not the same.

3) Are the pin outs the same with the same footprint? It should be easy enough to check the data sheet of a crystek VCO and compare pin outs and dimension against the mini circuits VCO.

4) Will it cover the desired frequencies? Buying a VCO with a frequency that does not cover the desired range will severely limit applications of a wave bubble.

Really go through the data sheets for both VCOs. Find out what the differences are between the two. Some problems might be easy to overcome (5v VCO on RC1a) where-as others may not (pin out not the same).

kad

Post by kad »

Thank you for valuable reply on short notice :)
I am using WB2010 boards but Vtune for crystek VCO is limited to 5V max and max operating current is 20mA.
Pin-out is same.
VCO range is 925-970 MHz , but my end application is just gsm jammer, if I jam only the downlink frequency i.e. 935-960 MHz, will it work?

lightningserpent

The range of the crystek VCO seems extremely limited for a wave bubble. GSM is around 850-900 and 1800-1900 (which is why the wave bubble uses two VCOs). I do not believe you will get the results you want using that VCO.

I built an RC1a and the Vtune boost was 28v. If you want to use a VCO with a tuning voltage of 5v max you will need to adjust several components of the boost section.

My suggestion is to find another VCO.

kad

Post by kad »

Could you suggest vco's/cross reference of other company.
Today I contacted distributors in BANNED,for mini-circuits VCO, final quotation of them is around 154 $ for 1 piece.

lightningserpent

Unfortunately since I built my wave bubble with mini-circuits VCOs I do not have any recommendations on alternatives. Auction sites will occasionally have some listed, that how I acquired the BANNED-84 pair.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”