iPod disruptor?

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wsmith5

iPod disruptor?

Post by wsmith5 »

hey.
I'm interested in knowing whether this circuit design has any exploitable side effects on the internal electronics of iPods and the like. I've had a few models of blackberry's that would induce static pulses in radios and telephones before/during calls. I'm looking to build a device that will result in a quieter train ride to & from work. Continuous jamming isn't as important as the strength of the rf pulse.
thanks

nova

Re: iPod disruptor?

Post by nova »

you could do this with an emp weapon, but thats totally illegal!!!!!!!!!

not only would the emp take out the ipod but also other electronics in the area as well so don't try it!!!

especially not on a train !!!!

bnm

Post by bnm »

Are you wanting to stop the interference caused by cellphones, not block the calls from actually occuring?

http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to- ... erference/

wsmith5

Post by wsmith5 »

I don't care about cell phones. I'm just looking to induce some manners into those around me on the train without any. I was hoping that a device that generated sufficient EM noise could be used to make iPod's unlistenable.

sparr

Post by sparr »

The interference that a cell device puts out to speaker wires nearby is not in the same league with the type/amount of interference you would need to put out to actually interfere with the cell phone calls.

aqisnotliquid

Post by aqisnotliquid »

Well, seeing as speakers primarily use electromagnets, like nova mentioned, you could use an EMP. Sure, there are legal technicalities to that approach, but it would be the most effective.

Simply put - The Wave Bubble is illegal. Why? Because it disrupts other people's lives. It's the same reason why you can't put land mines under the sidewalk in front of your house (Yes, people are going to walk in front of your house sometimes. It's okay). It's interference. Messing with iPod's is the same thing.

Granted, I may be off a bit when I say this, but I think that Limor wasn't intending to build a device for everyone to go build it and break the law by blocking people's calls. Reading through her thesis, I got the impression that the Wave Bubble was created under an idea that took human rights to a new level that hadn't been granted by the government. She believed that people were entitled to "personal space" and that radio frequencies interfered with this space.

If you'd like to learn more about how to block out the sound from an iPod, you might want to look into how they work. Sometimes you need to know more about what you are trying to break in order to break it. Perhaps the Wave Bubble will be legal some day. Perhaps a device to prevent iPods from working will be legal some day. Who knows. But for now, I simply suggest that you keep it to studying and not testing.

Also, another thing you may want to look into is following the same concept as the Wave Bubble for this. Instead of a constant stream of radio signals to drown out a cell phone call, you use a constant stream of sound on the full length of the audible sound "spectrum" to get a similar effect. The idea just came to me, but I would imagine that eventually, if you had enough sound, you could reach a point where there was no sound at all (not being deaf, although, that would certainly solve your problem).

One last little comment to end my someone misguided tirade... The Cone of Silence, as seen in Get Smart, must have some basis in real science. Or not. Something to look into.

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

aqisnotliquid wrote:The Cone of Silence, as seen in Get Smart, must have some basis in real science. Or not. Something to look into.
One low-volume white-noise generator, plus one pair of noise-canceling headphones, equals relative silence. You look just like every other ipod-wearing commuter; your music player doesn't look quite the same as theirs, but nobody will be paying close enough attention to notice any difference.

To make it slightly simpler, a set of normal headphones would still pipe the white directly into your skull, though it might require a slightly higher volume to mask the offending ipod blarers.

Fjornir

Post by Fjornir »

Any chance you could just say "Hey, could you turn that down a bit?" or put in some earplugs? Seems a lot easier than finding a frequency which the signal path of the iPod upstream of the amplifier is resonant at and then building a device which will broadcast a tone to make iPod listening unpleasant around and then risking jailtime for using the device.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”