tuning sensitivity of vco

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nova

tuning sensitivity of vco

Post by nova »

I everyone I have a question regarding the vco

Currently I'm looking for a replacement vco for the two used for the wavebubble.
I was looking for a vco that works with an operating voltage of 5V, but I was wondering when it comes to vco if its is better to have a high tuning sensitivity or a low tuning sensitivity?

for example the max 2622 has a tuning sensitivity of 75 to 100 MHz/ v

where as the ros 892-119+ has a tuning sensitivity of 23 to 27 MHz/v

how much does tuning sensitivity factor into the choose?

anyones knowledge of this is greatly appreciated

neutered

Re: tuning sensitivity of vco

Post by neutered »

nova wrote: Currently I'm looking for a replacement vco for the two used for the wavebubble.
I was looking for a vco that works with an operating voltage of 5V, but I was wondering when it comes to vco if its is better to have a high tuning sensitivity or a low tuning sensitivity?

for example the max 2622 has a tuning sensitivity of 75 to 100 MHz/ v

where as the ros 892-119+ has a tuning sensitivity of 23 to 27 MHz/v

how much does tuning sensitivity factor into the choose?
i'mstill building mine, but if you look at the datasheets they give curves for the vco response. eg, for the ros-2500 linked from 'make -> vco' we have something like

v TUNE - TUNING SENS.- FREQUENCY - POWER OUTPUT
8.00 68.87 2405.31 2380.37 2360.90 7.98 7.24 6.44

if you want to cover the 14 802.11 channels (2412-2484 in something like 5mhz jumps) you have to consider how fine control you have over the tuning voltage in this range. if you could only step in 0.5v increments you'd not be able to tune to any channel in the range particularly well (i think, to effectively jam all 802.11 you'd have to cover the entire range at once to deal w/ the spread spectrum stuff).

[ meta - forgot this part before ]

anyway, to 'pick'. i'd look at the peak to peak output of the previous stage and make sure that this voltage range covers what you're going to want to cover w/ enough 'slop' on the ends for temperature etc.

since i'm just getting started, i noticed you wrote:
nova wrote: I was looking for a vco that works with an operating voltage of 5V
the spec-ed ones mumble about being 12v. are you doing this to reduce power or something else?

\p

nova

Re: tuning sensitivity of vco

Post by nova »

thanks for the reply

I wanted to do away with 12 converter from the wavebubble design so I figured that would use the 5v booster only. also I wanted to do away with a high dc offset as well.

I look at the datasheet and try to understand the graphs

thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”