A /really/ simple battery question

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
magician13134

A /really/ simple battery question

Post by magician13134 »

I'm just making sure that this is as simple as I think it should be... I can use TWO batteries as long as I attach them in parallel, right? I could just solder them, one on top of the other? And that would double the time to charge and the time of use, right?

nova

Re: A /really/ simple battery question

Post by nova »

that depends on what kind of battery you are using.

if you are using ni-mh you need 3 aaa battery, assuming they are 1.25 volts each and with a current rating of 1200mAH or greater

if you are using li-on , then you need one battery that can produce 3.7 volts and have a current rating of 1500mAH or greater.

hope this helps

nova

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

Right, if I get the two LI-Ion, can't I add those in parallel, thereby getting 3000mAh?

katahdin

Post by katahdin »

Magician13134, your question/reasoning seem quite reasonable to me. As long as the batteries are connected in parallel, the rest of the circuit could function as usual since the voltage established would not change. However, as you say, the time to charge and time of use would increase since the system would have a larger current pool from which to draw.

SteveBaker

Post by SteveBaker »

The rule with batteries is that if you wire them in series, the voltages add - but the current doesn't change. If you wire them in parallel, the currents add but the voltage doesn't change.

When you wire them in parallel - it's vital that they are all the same kind of battery (both in voltage and type) because otherwise Very Bad Things can happen (eg battery overheating - and even explosions!).

dasverlangen

Post by dasverlangen »

[quote="SteveBaker"]The rule with batteries is that if you wire them in series, the voltages add - but the current doesn't change. If you wire them in parallel, the currents add but the voltage doesn't change.

When you wire them in parallel - it's vital that they are all the same kind of battery (both in voltage and type) because otherwise Very Bad Things can happen (eg battery overheating - and even explosions!).[/quote]

Interesting.

Well, explosions would certainly be something to avoid.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”