Troubleshooting IO ERROR: died at address 0

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
taiguy

Troubleshooting IO ERROR: died at address 0

Post by taiguy »

I spent my Saturday afternoon piecing together two SpokePOVs. Both (yellow/blue) seem to intialize fine, going through all the LEDs in order. My problem is I can't get the dongle/SpokePOV to communicate with each other. Installed the GiveIO as a service, and then tried connecting the dongle to my parallel port and the SpokePOV board. No matter what I try I can't get it to work. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this one? I'm wondering if it's a software/driver issue with GiveIO. Thanks.

cortexbomb

Post by cortexbomb »

I am having the same problem. The LEDs play a test pattern when batteries are popped in, but not if it is connected to the dongle/parallel port. Does this narrow down the possibilities (i.e. the dongle is soldered/assembled correctly.. or incorrectly)?

Additionally, I cannot open a previously saved .dat file, including one for the biohazard sample. I get a string-escape error in pickle.py (reported in the log file).

sovi3t

Post by sovi3t »

Check the resistors on the dongle, R2-4 should all be the same and R1 should be a unique one.

Once hooked up to the computer, try pressing the power button on the spokepov. I had to turn it off and back on to get it to work if i remember right.

The problem with loading .dat files is not uncommon. I can't do it either. I guess we'll have to wait for an update to the software? The important thing is, you can import BMP files.

pbpyrojust

Post by pbpyrojust »

I am having the same problems. I have done a regular reset and hard reset and checked my solders. Everything is good and I keep getting the same error! Help!

pbpyrojust

Post by pbpyrojust »

pbpyrojust wrote:I am having the same problems. I have done a regular reset and hard reset and checked my solders. Everything is good and I keep getting the same error! Help!
Figured it out! Seems that one of the LED leads got soldered to a 9-SIP resistor and I clip it off and now everything works!!!!! WOOOO! So excited.

taiguy

Post by taiguy »

Still having trouble getting the software to communicate with the hardware. After finally getting some free time to spend in the lab, I checked all the resistors and connections of the dongle pcb. All resistances and continuities check out so I'm assuming my board's fine. My only other guess is that the software isn't working with my computer due to some obscure settings. Any ideas?

taiguy

Post by taiguy »

finally...

it works - just not on my computer...

i had an old celeron machine sitting in the hallway which i dusted off and rigged up in the living room. i still don't know what the source of the problem is. However, i'll try and find out since other people might have the same problem.

moral: try it on several different machines if yours doesn't work.

racenviper

Post by racenviper »

I was getting the same error at first also. I found that I had to hit reset then write my image. Any time delay greater then 10 to 15 seconds error message.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”