SpokePOV not working properly

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sovi3t

SpokePOV not working properly

Post by sovi3t »

I recieved and built my kit (BMX - 4k memory) the other day. When I put some batteries in, the lights scrolled, then the outside LED on one side lit up and on the other side one of the middle LEDs lit up.

I plugged it into the computer, and uploaded the biohazard image to bank 1. I realized I had forgotten to change the config to 22 LEDs so I changed it and sent the image to bank 1 again. It wrote fine but took 206 seconds each time. When I clicked the Verify button, the check failed. When I clicked the Read button, the program froze at address 0.

I installed the spokepov on my bike (really tough fit--i have 64 spokes) and tried it out, but nothing happened. I put the magnet within 5mm of the hall sensor, and tried both sides of the magnet, but all it showed was 1 glowing LED on each side. The LED on one side sometimes changes when I wave the magnet over the sensor or press the button.

1) why does the LED on the one side change randomly sometimes when I wave the magnet or press the button?

2) does it not work because I uploaded an image to Bank 1 only?

3) is the marked side of the magnet supposed to point towards the sensor?

4) would fresh batteries make a difference?

adafruit

Re: SpokePOV not working properly

Post by adafruit »

Sovi3t wrote:
I plugged it into the computer, and uploaded the biohazard image to bank 1. I realized I had forgotten to change the config to 22 LEDs so I changed it and sent the image to bank 1 again. It wrote fine but took 206 seconds each time. When I clicked the Verify button, the check failed. When I clicked the Read button, the program froze at address 0.
try doing hard/soft resets. you may have not uploaded the code properly. check that the eeprom is in right, and your soldering is good.
I installed the spokepov on my bike (really tough fit--i have 64 spokes) and tried it out, but nothing happened. I put the magnet within 5mm of the hall sensor, and tried both sides of the magnet, but all it showed was 1 glowing LED on each side. The LED on one side sometimes changes when I wave the magnet over the sensor or press the button.

1) why does the LED on the one side change randomly sometimes when I wave the magnet or press the button?
debugging information, its not relevant
2) does it not work because I uploaded an image to Bank 1 only?
unlikely
3) is the marked side of the magnet supposed to point towards the sensor?

yes
4) would fresh batteries make a difference?
cant hurt

sovi3t

Post by sovi3t »

Recharged the batteries, the thing works perfectly =). Now I just have to weatherproof it and figure out how to make it withstand all of my violent bike riding...

Thanks for this project, its well worth it, and pretty damn sweet.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

"dont forget to plug it in!"
:P

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”