problem loading DAT files with SpokePOV.exe

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
owenman

problem loading DAT files with SpokePOV.exe

Post by owenman »

Hi, Has anyone out there in POVland come across this problem?
Whenever try to load a DAT file in SpokePOV.exe, I get a message to check the log file SpokePOV.exe.log. The contents of that file say:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "SpokePOV.py", line 925, in OnOpen
File "pickle.pyc", line 1390, in load
File "pickle.pyc", line 872, in load
File "pickle.pyc", line 985, in load_string
LookupError: unknown encoding: string-escape

Everything else about the program appears to be working. Any ideas? (This is in Windows XP.)

Thanks!
Owen

racenviper

Post by racenviper »

I was finding that if I tried to load a dat file then write to Spoke POV that an empty image is loaded. So for every image I load the bitmap save the dat then write.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yah im trying to figure out why on some machines it works ok and on some pickle dies

owenman

Post by owenman »

I found a threadthat suggests it is a problem of the char encoding file not being included by py2exe. I will see if I just plop it into the library.zip file, if that works. Will let you know.

Of course, I'd rather be doing in on my linux box, but there seems to be something about pyparallel not building properly with some distros and/or python versions.

peace

owenman

Post by owenman »

...Nope, that didn't work. Even though I put the string_escape.pyc file into the encodings folder (in library.zip) it gives the same error. Sounds like it would need to be included at the time py2exe was used? I dunno, I have never used it. Hmmmm...

owenman

Post by owenman »

Ladyada,

If you could send me the setup.py file that you used with py2exe, I could try to troubleshoot why the pickle dies, and let you know if I find anything.

Owen

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you can just run it with "python spokepov.py" too...im not sure where the setup.py script went...

owenman

Post by owenman »

ah, yeah, thanks. running from the script, it all works fine now.

for the record, i had to install ctypes 0.9.6 for pyParallel to work (ctypes 0.9.9.6, the most recent version, seems to have a bug in the windows version.)

thanks again...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”