Color Images?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mgrenier

Color Images?

Post by mgrenier »

I just completed the Spoke POV kit. It was very fun and worked the first time. I was wondering if I installed 3 Spoke POVs on one tire 120 degs
apart 1 Red, 1 Green and 1 Blue could I create color images?

Has anybody tried this? Would the weight be too much?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

someone tried it and they said it didn't work the way they expected...but they didnt really give me any more details!

olaf_marzocchi

Post by olaf_marzocchi »

I think it's simple.
When color A does 1/3 of revolution and goes exactly on the corresponding pixel of color B, we have the two color one over the other (let's suppose a prefect timing and position, now I don't remember whether spokepov uses an external oscillator or not).
The problem is that color A will be at its max lightness, since it is really in that position, while pixel of color B will be much dimmer since it was in that position a while before...
This is due to the fading of chemicals in the eye with time.
Try to spin the wheel at mad speeds and it will work :-)

Multi color images should be done with at least 3 spokes per color (just a guess) or, even better, using multi color led on the same spoke. Probably not difficult, it's a matter of adding ICs.

LuitvD

Post by LuitvD »

I think using using the animated picture possibility makes it even nicer...
but you will have to drive really hard to do that...

How many RPMs does this thing handle?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

at least 300, possibly more

mensmax

Post by mensmax »

I'm sorry but I'm finding intelligence around this flying LED project but little practicality. Your bicycle wheels will always be ugly, specially after they and their rude drivers are banned from our streets. BANNED destroyers, (bicycles), be gone!
Animation, moving electronic coloured pictures? People have already worked on that and this idea till they buried it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”