SpokePOV in green?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RFrankum

SpokePOV in green?

Post by RFrankum »

I was looking around for a programmable POV for my wife's bike and thought I would buy the green kit. I've been told you don't sell that color anymore, but the SpokePOV kit page, FAQ and 'make' page still say so in the text. Just an FYI.

I wouldn't have too much trouble sourcing LEDs but I'd like to know the specs for the green LEDs you used. If they're power-hungry I'd buy the blue POV kit for the extra battery capacity, and swap out the LEDs.

Thanks for the help!

adafruit

Re: SpokePOV in green?

Post by adafruit »

most green high brightness LEDs will need 3 batteries so we suggest getting blue ones and then recycling the blue LEDs. get >2000mcd green clear 5mm

nlightn0

Post by nlightn0 »

Hi,

I did this - got green 5mm LEDs from MP Jones (they're not clear, but they are high brightness) When I insert the batteries, it doesn't self-test. Instead a series of LED's lights up on each side and stays lit. The power switch won't turn it off either. I added a third battery from my blue kit but that makes no difference. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting - any ideas?

Thanks,
David

nlightn0

Post by nlightn0 »

OK never mind. Further digging here shows someone else solving this problem by swapping microcontrollers. Strangely enough, the yellow kit I got for the green LEDs was short a latch but had a controller in it's place. Problem solved. What I'd like to know is how you knew to send the extra chip?

All this madness has a method. It's to put a R G and B board inside an infinity tunnel and that inside a table. Here's a pic of all that gack & when I get some decent video of it I can post that too.
finished case.jpg
finished case.jpg (504.31 KiB) Viewed 3130 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

for replacement parts, email support@adafruit with a link to this post and a clear description of what you need

nlightn0

Post by nlightn0 »

No, I'm all set. I got a latch from digikey and the extra controller worked. Unfortunately, something I hadn't considered in my design is the power off function - It would be nice if I could have them sleep instead and wake when they start spinning. I have thought about moving the batteries to a can in the middle and using either a mercury switch or a spring and post to make a hard reset every time it starts spinning. Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks,
David

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

mercury switch on a bike wheel is a bit of a disaster-waiting-to-happen. we really dont suggest it :?

nlightn0

Post by nlightn0 »

Yes, of course, mercury switches are plan B. The wheel is fully enclosed while spinning though, and it will never be on a bike again.
I can make a hub that sits on top of the bike wheel hub, move the batteries up there. Then use an arrangement I saw on a toy - it's a fine spring that's tangent to the rim. It's free end is close to a post. When sufficient rpms are reached, centrifugal force sends the spring into the post. So you have a spst NO switch. I think that will work, but it's so mechanical. What I am asking is - has anyone modified the code so that it does not power off at the specified interval but instead stays in standby?

Thanks,
David

pirlouwi

Post by pirlouwi »

I would like to know where you plan to put the magnets on your tunnel setup?
In my first tests, I saw that the Hall effect sensor needs to loop quite close from the magnet to detect it (let's say minus than 5 mm).
Pirlouwi

nlightn0

Post by nlightn0 »

It's on a steel post with a machine screw up thru the bottom of the tunnel. I did that so I could stack #10 washers to raise it but it worked right away.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”