Behaviour when no EEPROM is inserted ?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zapro

Behaviour when no EEPROM is inserted ?

Post by zapro »

Hello.

I have downloaded the PCB layout and made my own PCB's for the Spokepov. Everything is assembled now, but i am waiting for the EEPROM to be delivered (i only have I2C EEPROM's in the house)

When i power on the SpokePOV i see some seemingly random patterns on the LED's - i thought it should only light a single LED on each side of the POV at power on ?

I am a little unsure if i haveprogrammed the Attiny2313 correctly - i have a PonyProg device programmer, and it programmed and verified the hex file correctly.

I have set the fuses as follows: LFuse: 0xe4 and HFuse: 0x9d So it SHOULD be correct ?

I have not built the serial adaptor yet, but i had another PCB that should be suitable for serial connection (it has the zeners and the resistors as the LadyAda version have, but a slightly different connection scheme.

I have verified the Serial dongle for the POV is working with the test funtion, but Logic high reads as 4,65 Volts and Logic low reads as 0,7 volts - maybe this is the reason that comm. does not work ? I am using an ATEN UC232A USB/Serial dongle with the Zener setup connected.

I have mounted white LED's, and are using a 4,5 Volt supply.

Regards,

Per.

zapro

Re: Behaviour when no EEPROM is inserted ?

Post by zapro »

Hi. I have a update.

I found out that i missed a via in the hurry, so that's why the POV vas showing garbage.

I have finished the POV now, and actually found an 25320 EEPROM in an old modem, so i have put that in, and spinning the wheel shows a consistent pattern (the data in the EEPROM are just garbage) but the image is stable.

I maybe have found out, why the Serial interface won't work - the time to sleep is around 9 minutes, and i need to press the button for a very long time, to wake the POV after sleep. So something tells me that the fuses isn't correct anyway, the micro is running too slow... Hmm, will have to look into it!

// Per.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hi there, you're free to post up here but we can only provide support to kit customers. good luck! :)

zapro

Post by zapro »

adafruit wrote:hi there, you're free to post up here but we can only provide support to kit customers. good luck! :)
Hi.
OK i didn't knew that you would not like to support your software. I actually built a single POV myself to see it it was something i wanted to invest the PCB's for...

I managed to get i working now, still the button functionality seems a bit odd. I found an old laptop with a real RS232 port on it, and the aforementioned adaptor worked fine on that, and i managed to put pictures in the 4 banks.

Parallel ditto on the same laptop won't work, although the test seems to indicate that i works - regardless of i set the port to ECP/EPP/Bidirectional in the BIOS.

I have found out that i need at least 3 POV's per wheel to get a good effect, so i'm going to scrape some money together and then order some PCB's from you. DIY Double side PCB is a big work, all that threading the VIA's when the LED's need to be soldered to the same side as the pads....

Regards,

// Per.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”