SpokePOV.py

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jof

SpokePOV.py

Post by jof »

Well, I'm trying to get the newer SpokePOV python software working with a 4 Kb EEPROM on my linux machine. There's definitely something wonky going on with python's calls to /dev/parport0.
I originally had trouble on my debian unstable system when I had the .deb package of python-parallel. It wouldn't even open a handle on the device. So, I recreated the device node, got the pyparallel sources and built from scratch, and recompiled ppdev for my kernel (it doesn't come with the stock kernel). After that, it eventually started to open a handle and actually interact with the microcontroller. I can tell it does something on the board because when I soft reset the board before plugging it in, it turns on LED #9 rather than #3 on the front row of LEDs. But, SpokePOV.py capitulates with an: "IO ERROR: died at address 0" before getting anything done. This happens for every operation too (read, write, set rotation vars, etc.)
I'm pretty sure it's in python because avrdude can work with the controller through the same dongle just fine.

I could probably poke around some more, but I thought I'd check in with users first, so that I might not have to re-invent the wheel.
Any ideas / [elegant,kludgey] hacks / fixes anywhere?

Cheers,
jonathan

jof

Post by jof »

I still haven't gotten this working, but I did finally get around to getting python 2.4 working on Debian unstable. I was able to do a little debugging and playing around, and found a couple of possible snags.
First, I had my BIOS set for a wonky PS/2 transfer mode, so I'm trying EPP now.
I also found that the lp module was grabbing exclusive control over the device, so I've only got ppdev loaded at the moment.

But, I still can't get it to talk business with the SPI EEPROM. I can change firmware without a problem, but when SpokePOV.py tries to bit-bang the microcontroller into talking to the external EEPROM (or internal for that matter), I still get a "failed! 0x00" message.
It's probably some dumb problem, but I still have yet to find it, so I'll come back to it in a couple of days with fresh eyes. In the meantime, any ideas where the snag may lie?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”