Is the spokePOV legal in the US?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
darthneo

Is the spokePOV legal in the US?

Post by darthneo »

I was thinking about making maybe 4 of these for my bike, but i'm wondering about the BANNED of it.

I'm thinking the red and blue ones would be illegal, as you can not even have red or blue lights on your car (because of emergency vehicles)
And
Because they would be distracting to drivers.

Anyone been stopped by a cop because of a spokePOV?

I'd hate to lay down ~100$ then get told that i can't use them....

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Is the spokePOV legal in the US?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Laws for bicycle lighting vary widely from state to state (and country to country). Enforcement is even more variable depending on locale.

darthneo

Post by darthneo »

so if i wanted to be sure it is legal, i should call my local Police station, or even the state police? (i live in michigan btw)

adafruit_support_bill

That or one of the local bike clubs or advocacy groups. They are usually more aware of the bicycle-specific regulations than the police. LMB looks like a good resource: http://www.lmb.org/index.php/Education/MI-Vehicle-Code/

darthneo

Post by darthneo »

Thanks for that link, I just sent an email asking...

While i was there, i was amazed at some of the laws bicyclists have in Michigan, I guess now when i fly through a stop sign on my bike, ride on wrong side of road, not have lights at night (and back reflecter), or working breaks that when applied will cause my tire to skid, and get a ticket for it I can't say "I didn't know".

pstemari

Post by pstemari »

Bicycles basically have to follow all the same rules of the road as automobiles. The funny thing that happened to a friend was that she got 2-3 tickets for running stops on her bike, and Florida proceed to suspend her driver's license in retribution.

darthneo

Post by darthneo »

Well i received a response but it didn't answer my question, he just quoted the reflecter law...

adafruit_support_bill

With regard to bicycle lighting, most states have some regulation based on the CPSC reflector standard. Some will also require a headlight and/or taillight after sunset. Some specify colors (e.g. red or amber on the back and white on the front). I don't know of any that say anything about what can go on the sides (despite the fact that statistics indicate that most car-bike collisions are from the side!)

Many states have some (non bicycle specific) regulatons against certain types of flashing lignts on non-emergency vehicles. Until a few years ago, RI prohibited any kind of flashing light on a bike (but everyone used the ubiquitous 'blinkies' anyhow). Nevertheless, It would probably be a good idea to avoid any flashing blue lights.

I have red Bull LED on the back of my winter-bike. While technically not legal in my state, I have gotten positive comments on it from police officers.
http://www.strobe.com/component/option, ... urer_id,0/

darthneo

Post by darthneo »

wow is the bull led really $50+? thats expensive...

I think the cops in my town would throw a fit about that because it has red+blue colors, which i believe are completely illegal on anything on the road (besides emergency vehicles)

adafruit_support_bill

$50+? thats expensive...
Trust me. Getting hit is far more expensive in many many ways.
I think the cops in my town would throw a fit about that because it has red+blue colors
It comes in several colors. Mine is red only.

Volkemon

Post by Volkemon »

NEVER underestimate the umm.... 'dedication and devotion' of the police. This was is my decorated microbus. Magnets and a 400w inverter allow me to drive down the road lit up. NO flashing lights.

Officer #1 (blacked out in the pickup) was all gung ho, but refused to give me a ticket when I informed him that I wanted one to put with the picture. Wouldnt even give me a written warning. Wimp. Officer #2 was VERY amused by the whole stop, and allowed me to take this picture.
On seeing the flash, Officer#1 got on the PA and firmly directed me to return to the driver seat. Priceless picture.

Notable Quotes from the event:

Officer1: Did you lose the rest of the parade? (Not a bad line :) )

Officer1: Motorists could see them <red and blue bulbs> and mistake you for an emergency vehicle!
Volkemon: Sure, if they lived in a circus!
Officer2: <Suddenly has to...'cough'... and turns away to compose himself>

So be ready to turn them off/take them off at a moments notice. And ALWAYS smile and be polite to the officers. Never hurts.

mitpatterson

Post by mitpatterson »

thats hillariious

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”