How can I override SpokePOV's automatic power down feature?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
royshearer

How can I override SpokePOV's automatic power down feature?

Post by royshearer »

Hi, I'm using my SpokePOVs for an installation that has to run for 5 or 10 mins at 15min intervals autonomously as it is located in a pond. I know.

I predict that the boards (v1.1) in their current state will switch themselves off after 3 minutes of inactivity. How can I override this so that the boards stay on at all times? In total the installation only has to run for a couple of hours, so battery drainage should not be a problem.

If this can be done with as physical hack that would be great as I have no programming experience or resources to get into coding. If it is has to be a coding thing, on the other hand, then I might need some help..

cheers,
Roy

adafruit_support_bill

Re: How can I override SpokePOV's automatic power down feature?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The shutdown timer is done in the firmware.

How are you starting it up now? As I understand it, it comes up in 'off' mode until the button is pressed. You need to get it into 'idle' mode before it will start monitoring the hall-effect sensor for rotation. Whatever you do the first time should work for subsequent intervals.

royshearer

Post by royshearer »

Not quite sure what you mean - we will be turning the boards on manually using the button then pushing the installation out into the pond at which point it will be inaccessible. Basically I want the boards to remain in idle mode for the full two hours so that they don't power off in between periods of the wheel moving.

adafruit_support_bill

I see. You could replace the button with an IR or RF actuated trigger circuit. If the circuitry is intimidating, an off-the-shelf remote camera trigger would probably do the job. But the simplest thing is probably to modify the firmware to disable the sleep mode.

royshearer

Post by royshearer »

Oh right, thanks that's useful, will give it some thought. I don't suppose anyone here has done this in the firmware before?

adafruit_support_bill

I don't have a SpokePOV. I can only guess from looking at the code. Maybe one of the Spoke-POV users will chime in here.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

IIRC someone did do this mod in the forum, but can't remember when or who. could try some searching in this forum?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”