Wireless remote porogramming for pov system

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
madmax

Wireless remote porogramming for pov system

Post by madmax »

This looks like a great project, and would be made more interesting if the board could be programmed while mounted on a spinning wheel. RF or
IR would be easy to implement.

Any Electronic Geniusses with an idea?

Madmax

(2 men enter, one man rides!)

povpro

Post by povpro »

Your biggest problem will be the tiny program memory of the attiny 2313.
It's already almost full with the current version of the firmware.

There are other Atmel microcontrollers with more program memory,
but all of them have more than 20 pins, so you'll have to adapt them somehow to the SpokePOV PCB unless you want to redesign it from
scratch.

Anything is possible, given enough resources (time, money, etc.)

jof

Post by jof »

I was thinking of doing something like this with a small 2.4 Ghz transceiver. I would really be programming it from remote, because that takes just about forever sometimes. I would probably strip down the firmware on the attiny2313, and put something a little more powerful elsewhere on the bike that would do all of the image processing and just dump the SPI data to the shift registers over the radio. My only hang up is sending everything properly from a computer outside of the wheel (probably under the seat) and getting the timing correct. I'll likely do the reverse of what I have now, and mount the magnet on the wheel and put the hall sensor on the frame.

My ultimate goal is to actually have something like a gumstix computer under the seat that would grab data or text from the internet, either from some *permiscuous* 802.11x hopping or EVDO/EDGE/GPRS. The idea being that people could transmit text or images over the internet and have them displayed in real time on my bike. On top of that, a feedback system would be even cooler. Either GPS or APRS showing where I am, so people could see their message, or a webcam hanging off the bike pointing at the wheel that spits the images back to the internet, so you could see your message on the wheel.
These are bigger ideas for a different day, but they'll be pretty cool nonetheless when they're done.

It just occurred to me that surface mount LEDs would be cool with the higher bandwidth. Ohhhh... high res images!

madoverlord

Post by madoverlord »

There's a POV spinner design out there that has elements of what you want - better processor, surface mount parts, and a bluetooth receiver built in.

http://www.electric-clothing.com/superpov.html

simon_stz

Post by simon_stz »

MadOverlord wrote:There's a POV spinner design out there that has elements of what you want - better processor, surface mount parts, and a bluetooth receiver built in.

http://www.electric-clothing.com/superpov.html
Written by the page's author:
the bluetooth support is not included in this version of the firmware. The "BlueSmirf" device works fine using a serial UART, I've just not written the necessary code to send updates to the POV device over bluetooth yet

madoverlord

Post by madoverlord »

Well, that just means there's room for some programming to be done.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”