Home Fabrication of PCB

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
m00njal

Home Fabrication of PCB

Post by m00njal »

Hi, I have built a few SpokePOV kits....and am itching to build more, however they're currently out of stock. While I don't mind waiting, I've read all the many guides on the internet about making your own PCBs with laser photo paper,but I think that method is only for one sided circuits or am I wrong?

I was wondering if the SpokePOV board can be built at home, or is it best to order from adafruit or any online PCB fab company?

mitpatterson

Re: Home Fabrication of PCB

Post by mitpatterson »

regarding doing 2 sided boards, while it is possible it is hard to get the alignment of all the holes just right, and you also don't have plated though holes so anything that connects on the top will likely need soldered on the top as well, as the solder doesn't flow though the hole and electrically and mechanically connect on the top and bottom layers, so it is a lot more work, if you are just looking to make a few more kits, i would wait for the kit to be in stock, if you want to make a lot (like 50-100 or more) then you could have a board house make them and order all the parts your self, but normally for just a few, even if you etch the boards your self, the parts themselves often add up to the cost of the kit or more. and if you try to have a board house make just one or 2 boards, it is ridiculously expensive.

m00njal

Post by m00njal »

Thank you mitpatterson, that cleared up the confusion with DIY double sided boards....I guess I will wait, the individual parts in small quantities are expensive

vvs

Post by vvs »

I made two boards at home.They fine work almost year on my bike.

m00njal

Post by m00njal »

@VVS: Did you simply make a board on two sides? or did you have to do any soldering on both sides of the board like previous poster?

vvs

Post by vvs »

...like previous poster

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”