Can't get 4, only banks - what to try?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
shprung

Can't get 4, only banks - what to try?

Post by shprung »

out of the blue, I can no longer program the 4 banks - only 2. The software upon 'connect' (I am using USB) shows only 2 banks and not 4 for all my 3 POVs.
To be sure, I installed the software, ver1.4, on my 3 computers (w7, vista, XP) and it all result in the same thing so I suspect the USB or the POVs.
I recall in the past that one of the POV was showing only 2 banks but somehow it got fixed by itself on later attempt. Now, it all the time showing only 2 banks.
Yet, when it runs the animation, I do see the 4 banks/images
I usually first connect the USB to the computer and the POV - I get a single light, I then click on the POV button and get another light. In the software I then click connect... am I doing it different than you, should I try it differently?

adafruit

Re: Can't get 4, only banks - what to try?

Post by adafruit »

try clearing out the two banks you have (load in empty BMP files)

shprung

Post by shprung »

didn't help. I 'write to SpokePOV' a one-red-dot only, for both bank 1 and bank 2. I verify and even read from spokePOV to make sure it got clear from the old image. but upon diconnect & connect I only get to see 2 banks. Next, I remove the cheap and upon connection it show no banks at all. I put it back, and again it only show 2 banks. what to try/test next?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

not sure what happened. but dont remove the chip. try uploading some patterns to the banks, maybe the other two will show up afterwards?

dreamer.redeemer

Post by dreamer.redeemer »

I'm having this same problem now, on 2 of the 3 boards. I've also had issues with leds doing the opposite of what they're supposed to for just one degree, when near vertical.

dreamer.redeemer

Post by dreamer.redeemer »

I can get the last 2 banks to appear by filling the first two, disconnecting, then reconnecting. I'm still having the problem with the vertical line, I'm guessing it's over/underflow of some sort. Is the latest source available somewhere?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

everything is on the download page!

jrfoell

Post by jrfoell »

I'm also having the same issue on only one of my 3 SpokePOVs: In SpokePOV Soft I can connect and tabs for banks 1 & 2 will show up, but 3 & 4 will not. I also have the vertical line on the unit in question. Did anyone find a repeatable solution?

jrfoell

Post by jrfoell »

Ok, so I found some repeat-ability with my setup... If I write the original spokepov.dat and flower.dat files on banks 1 & 2, disconnect and connect again, I'll see banks 3 & 4. It has something to do with the 4 dat files I created, maybe something is overflowing? The files I used are attached, and for me to reproduce the Bank 1 & 2 bug, they must go in this order:

Bank 1: 612brew.dat
Bank 2: v.dat
Bank 3: BANNED.dat
Bank 4: batman.dat

When I write all those to the SpokePOV, disconnect/re-connect, I'll only see Bank 1 & 2. Also, when I read Bank 1 from SpokePOV I can see the vertical line is now part of image that was stored.

To very clearly see the vertical line issue, I loaded v.dat on all 4 banks, disconnected/re-connected an then read bank 1.

At one point I tried loading v.dat in bank 1, and blank dat files in the other 3 and to my surprise when I disconnected/re-connected only the tab for Bank 1 showed up! Loading biohazard.dat into bank 1, disconnecting and re-connecting got the others back.

I'm willing to help debug/qa this issue if it's repeatable on others' systems/hardware.
Attachments
sample bank bug dat.zip
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 429 times

tony18183

Post by tony18183 »

Hi,

2 bank left in my EEPROM
I am having this problem now after I write into bank 3.
At first, I tried to write biohazard image into bank 3 but fail. I guessed some issue with the bmp that i upload. THen, I read bank 1 and save the image into "bank 1.dat" file. I write this .dat file into bank 3. when the writting was done i disconnected and reconnected again for verification. To my surprise, it only pop up 2 bank. 3 and 4 gone.

help please

tony18183

Post by tony18183 »

i installed it back on my wheel. 4 bank images show up..hmmm

neonglass

Post by neonglass »

I seem to be having the opposite problem. My software is showing 32 banks.

cyclecars

Post by cyclecars »

I am having this exact problem. Was there a formal resolution to this? Do I need to replace the EPROMS? I haven't pulled them and I cannot get to the SPOKEPOV 1.4 source to see how it works.

I lost 2 of the 4 banks to the SPOKEPOV software. But they are still they running obsolete images. I am afraid to further load the remaining 2 banks with anything for fear it will eliminate what little I have working. I will try loading an older version of SPOKEPOV (1.3?) and see if that changes things. It sure seems like it it is in the SpokePOV code, not the firmware. But I did also see that mysterious stripe described right before the banks went kablooey.

Another piece of info; This happened on ALL 3 of my boards. One after the other. I really think this is the SpokePOV v 1.4 software causing this OR the firmware has a glitch during run-time in the code that handles the magnet event. I wish I could get the SPOKEPOV source. But it is not on the sourceforge site. The Windows zip file is empty on the site. That's yet another question. :-?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”