SpokePOV for Alternate Application

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
beam-on

SpokePOV for Alternate Application

Post by beam-on »

I had some quick questions that I hope someone can answer about the SpokePOV. First, I have an application that only needs lights on the front side. Can half of the LEDs be omitted or do all of them have to be soldered for the unit to function? Second, this application would also require remote mounting of the hall effect sensor since there is no way to mount a magnet near where the SpokePOV would be located. Is this just as simple as soldering wires in place of the sensor on the board and the sensor to the other end of the wires for the remote mounting? The mounting location would require about 2 to 3 feet of wire between the board and the sensor.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I am not trying to mount these on a car or motorcycle. I just want to add an image to a spinning assembly that will turn around 100RPMs max. Thanks in advance!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: SpokePOV for Alternate Application

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Omitting leds and remote mounting of the sensor should work. 100 RPM is equivalent to about 8 mph with a 27" wheel, so the speed is reasonable as well.
Be sure to post pics when you are done! :D

beam-on

Post by beam-on »

Thanks for the quick response arduwino!

So would I just leave out the unwanted LEDs but still solder all of the chips in place? Or could some of the chip soldering also be skipped? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Another idea I had was if I wanted to make a bigger image, how difficult would it be to mount the units end to end and have one part of the image on the inner set and one part on the outer set? I was thinking the units would be rotated 180° to one another so there wasn't much or any noticeable gap between the LEDs. It looks to me like the image software may be able to support this kind of thing with some fiddling. Has anyone ever tried this? If so, please post a link to pics or video if available.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

From the schematic, It looks like you could leave out half of the latches and resistor networks as well.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”