SpokePOV.exe v1.2, various problems (winxp pro)

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tomjennings

SpokePOV.exe v1.2, various problems (winxp pro)

Post by tomjennings »

Hi, got my spokePOVs working, but I'm having problems that sure seem to be in spokepov.exe.

1. Not really a "bug" per se, but I swear the SOFTWARE page said that the .bmp image is scaled to the spoke polar plot; it actually just scales the entire enclosing image rectangle. I had to add white space at the top of my image to get it to not overlap the edge of the wheel. Image is here: http://wps.com/temp/CO2_mascot.bmp

2. I get "IO ERROR: died at address 1024". Huh? I haven't (yet) mounted it on my bike to see if it's working in spite of this error. I bought the 4K EEPROM, btw.

3. Relatively minor, except ominous-seeming when you are first bringing up a new one! A previous error message in the status bar (eg. "IO ERROR: died at address 0") remains during the next programming operation. It should clear the status bar.

(It would be nice if spokepov.exe uttered other status messages during the programmin startup; code-wise it's not much of the process, but when bringing up new POVs nearly all errors occurr here and more info would be nice).

(I may look at the code myself when I get back from BRC.)

Thanks!!

tomjennings

Re: SpokePOV.exe v1.2, various problems (winxp pro)

Post by tomjennings »

tomjennings wrote: 2. I get "IO ERROR: died at address 1024". Huh? I haven't (yet) mounted it on my bike to see if it's working in spite of this error. I bought the 4K EEPROM, btw.
Wait -- is this an issue of 4K EEPROM vs. 1K? Eg. address wraparound?

Is address "1024" in a 1K system, address 0 in bank 0, but in a 4K (or 2K, etc) address 0 of bank 1?

(Egad, replying to my own quoted messages, does this mean I'm crazy? ................. Shut up you!)

Unicyclist

Re: SpokePOV.exe v1.2, various problems (winxp pro)

Post by Unicyclist »

tomjennings wrote:(Egad, replying to my own quoted messages, does this mean I'm crazy? ................. Shut up you!)
Wha'd ya mean shaadup? I've always quoted the most intelligent :wink: person I can find! :D

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

So was there a resolution to the problem where it complains about writing at address 1024? I'm seeing this on one I just assembled but it only has a 1K EEPROM (I think). The thing seems to otherwise work. Is this a feature?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

there is a stupid bug where it sometimes dies on address 1024. and also has problems with verification
i will look into this now that i've returned

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

I fiddled around a bit and found that the Python script that is also in the download area seems to behave differently than the Windows .exe. Is it possible that the Windows code is an earlier version or something along those lines? The Python script behaves much nicer. On my setup the Python script reports every 16 bits (or something) as being written to the board and doesn't fail at address 1024. The Windows program seems to program ok but doesn't report every 16 bits and fails at 1024.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

in the long run the problem is that python is just not a good programming language to write this sort of thing in. its too slow and has difficulty talking to the hardware...im porting it to C++/wx which is low level enough to deal with graphics and hardware at a reasonable rate.

matajumotors

Post by matajumotors »

Hello, Ladyada.

I found some problem with spokepov program 1.2 .
I can not set the mirror or not flag. It has no reaction.

I did like that - programmed one image with spokepov program 1.0 with setting to mirror or not, and then other images with 1.2 ...

And i would like to ask, is it possible to set mirror or not to each image?

Thanks.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm. i will look at this too. im still in the process of rewriting the software to make it better...it wasnt so good when i first did it :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”