avrdude works, SpokePOV.py does not

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
systest

avrdude works, SpokePOV.py does not

Post by systest »

I have two SpokePOV units. Each does performs a successful self test at power on. I can read from each of them using avrdude and a parallel dongle under Linux. However I can not get either to program under Linux or Windows using SpokePOV v1 or v1.2

Regardless of OS or SpokePOV version, attempts to read or write fail with "IO ERROR: died at address 0". Attempts to set the rotation fail with "IO ERROR: Could not read rotation offset!"

I have tried all four BIOS setting for the parallel port, output only, bi-directional, EPP, ECP. Regardless of setting SpokePOV.py fails as stated above.

Given that:
1) Both units power on and self test and avrdude can speak to both units
I believe the SpokePOV hardware is OK
2) avrdude reads from BOTH units
I believe the dongle and parallel port are OK
3) The same behavior occurs with two different operating systems
I do NOT believe it is an OS issue. Though this does not rule out the possibility of of two separate OS configuration issues. (FWIW, givio does report successful on the Windows system)
4) SpokePOV.py can not read the rotation setting
I believe this value is stored in the microcontroller itself, not the external RAM. I believe this rules out the external RAM as the cause of the problem.

Any suggestions regarding what to try next?

systest

Windows XP issue resolved

Post by systest »

I resolved the problem with SpokePOV.py under windows by replacing the initial installation of giveio with the binary from the SourceForge download site.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hmm. what version were you replacing?

systest

Appears to be a reinstall of the same version

Post by systest »

ladyada wrote:hmm. what version were you replacing?
I initially downloaded and installed giveio by following the link at http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/software.html

Later, I reinstalled the package by going directly to SourceForge and searching for the binary.

Now that I look back at it, the ladyada.net link leads to the same binary.

It appears there must have been a problem with my initial installation of the package.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”