.dat files looking like 'ascii art' ?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
carmatic1

.dat files looking like 'ascii art' ?

Post by carmatic1 »

so when i use notepad to open one of the .dat files which the software converts your image to, the first thing i see is it starts with:
SpokePOV followed by sequences of ÿ characters forming 8 lines 1025 characters long...
i have noticed that if i turned Word Wrap on, and adjust the width of the window to 127 characters, the ÿ characters start forming a shape

so does that mean that i could directly edit the image in notepad? or better yet use those ascii art tools to help me convert an image into the format used by spokepov? this will be important for me because i need to use spokepov to display a column , and not a disc

adafruit

Re: .dat files looking like 'ascii art' ?

Post by adafruit »

-sort of- it is a direct binary format with each bit of a byte being an LED on or off

carmatic1

Post by carmatic1 »

im sure that i can figure this out by myself sooner or later... but what is the 'format' of the .dat files which the spokepov receives? i can see that notepad can display a string of text which reads 'spokepov' , but what else is there?

i am planing on actually making my own program to edit the images rectangularly... or should i just keep on warping my images using photoshop before i import it on spokepov's own program...

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we dont have a spec sheet, but its pretty easy to see the format by looking at the file parsing code. its pretty much just raw binary -> LED state

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”