Trying to put image onto SpokePOV, not working :(

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
NeZiaR

Trying to put image onto SpokePOV, not working :(

Post by NeZiaR »

Hi, I keep getting the IO ERROR: died at address 0 error. I'm using the serial port method, I've also tried it with and without GiveIO. I've tried all the different methods of starting it, e.g. 'Power on SpokePOV first, then plug in, then do a hard reset, then start the software' etc...

Everything is soldered correctly, and my serial ports are enabled in the BIOS settings.

I have also tried it in both COM ports, which I obviously worked out it is COM2.

Is there anything else I can do to upload an image onto my SpokePOV? I realise now if I would have gone with the parallel option, it would have worked. :(

I also installed Python, wxPython and pySerial, just in case it made a difference. :P

Jagger

Post by Jagger »

I had (have) the same problem with the parallel also so that would not have helped you. And reading other posts of those with the same problem (with no reply) it seems like a problem with the spokepov software. Try the following: Make sure batteries are brand new,change pc's, run linux, shorten or loop cord (worked on mine but still get died at 1024) re-download and install giveio, pray to gods of serial data (Maybe even a sacrifice), or drink fifth of JD,pee on circuit board and go watch TV(also worked for me!)

NeZiaR

Post by NeZiaR »

Jagger wrote:I had (have) the same problem with the parallel also so that would not have helped you. And reading other posts of those with the same problem (with no reply) it seems like a problem with the spokepov software. Try the following: Make sure batteries are brand new,change pc's, run linux, shorten or loop cord (worked on mine but still get died at 1024) re-download and install giveio, pray to gods of serial data (Maybe even a sacrifice), or drink fifth of JD,pee on circuit board and go watch TV(also worked for me!)
Yeah you're probably right, I fried one SpokePOV already, so finding out this one isn't working peed me off a bit, the only thing I can think of right now is buying a parallel port one, and if that doesn't work trying it on another PC, and if that doesn't work, wire up the SpokePOV to be a timer for a bomb... once all the LEDs are activated... BOOM!

Then go have a pint of strongbow, a pack of peanuts, and go watch TV.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

how did you fry it?

im re-writing the spokepov software in C++ instead of python so it should suck a lot less (faster, more consistant, work on all machines, not have wierdo save/restore errors...)

NeZiaR

Post by NeZiaR »

Well, I soldered it really bad, and that's the main reason it's fried :P

But the soldering on my current one is so perfect it rivals a machines :P

BTW Ladyada, I know it's a hard process, and I don't mean it in a bad way, but how long do you think it will take to port it to C++?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

im re-learning C++ from 8 yrs ago so it might be a few weeks...you should try the spokepov on a different machine before you wait around for me.

NeZiaR

Post by NeZiaR »

I'm about to test it out on a laptop, and another PC and see if it works, I'm praying to god it does, I'll post an update of what happens soon.

Anyway thanks Ladyada for the effort :P

NeZiaR

Post by NeZiaR »

Yep, as expected it works on other PCs, it must be something wrong with my services, or serial port, it's gonna take a little while getting use to the software (like testing out different things that look good and what don't, but yeah overall it's a great project.

Thanks Ladyada, and I hope you carry on creating more fun, educational toys :D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”