OS X Lion Support

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bobbyr

OS X Lion Support

Post by Bobbyr »

Hi,

I just spent bought a couple of SpokePOVs and assembled them only to find out that the for the software, Lion is not supported because they (Apple) have taken away Rosetta and the SpokePov binary is PPC. Bummer!

So has anyone managed to build and run this software for an Intel (or Universal) build on Lion?

Also, this page:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/download.html

should have some notice warning people that Lion is not supported, just so people are prepared.

Thanks!

Bobby

adafruit

Re: OS X Lion Support

Post by adafruit »

oops that's right, we haven't done a rebuild since lion! :( we'll look into recompiling it

Bobbyr

Post by Bobbyr »

That's great, thanks!

bobby

djsoma

Post by djsoma »

Has anyone recompiled this for Lion? Don't really want to have dual boot my system with XP just for this software, if someone has this somewhere can you please point me towards it? :D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

djsoma wrote:Has anyone recompiled this for Lion? Don't really want to have dual boot my system with XP just for this software, if someone has this somewhere can you please point me towards it? :D
hiya!

we have not tested with lion yet (our systems here are not updated to lion until more software we use works, many does not), we'll post any updates of course as we get them!

cheers,
adafruit support, phil

djsoma

Post by djsoma »

That stinks! it definitly does not work with Lion or Mountain Lion (can't even install the software) :( :(

djsoma

Post by djsoma »

I am having so many issues with this :(

Mountain Lion no longer allows you to boot camp XP. I have XP running in a VM (VirtualBox) but it does not seem to recognize the USB device even though the Green light is on.

Has anyone had any success running this out of a VM on MacOS? Right now I am dead in the water. Leaving for burning man in a few days and this was the whole point of this project for me. Any help would be appreciated. :( :(

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We're working on a Lion version right now. We'll update as soon as it's ready

djsoma

Post by djsoma »

is this any chance of this update being out before monday?

adafruit_support_rick

We'll try. No promises.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

djsoma wrote:is this any chance of this update being out before monday?
not by monday. our support folks are working on an update, but lion is very new and not supported yet.

djsoma

Post by djsoma »

Actually Lion has been out over a year, so I wouldn't say it is very new.

You guys should update this part, it's very misleading!

Software runs on any Mac, Windows or Linux computer with Serial, Parallal or USB port

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

djsoma wrote:Actually Lion has been out over a year, so I wouldn't say it is very new.
You guys should update this part, it's very misleading!
Software runs on any Mac, Windows or Linux computer with Serial, Parallal or USB port
sorry, i thought you meant mountain lion (we are going to update a few macs to that here shortly). we'll update the description and make it more clear, we can give you a refund - please email [email protected] reference this thread.

we are working on lion support, just not by monday :(

adafruit support, phil

adafruit_support_rick

We are releasing a test version of the MacOSX Lion SpokePOV App. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you!

Download the .Zip file from here:
http://github.com/adafruit/SpokePOV/tre ... OSX_10.7.2

Unzip the file. You'll find the app in the folder under executables/v1.4/OSX_10.7.2

rustybikes

Post by rustybikes »

Many thanks for posting the SpokePOV bits that run on (Mountain) Lion! I really didn't want to have to deal with Windows for this one task... :)

However.. All is not well. I'm not sure where the core issue is here, so I'm not really even sure whether this is an issue with SpokePOV or USBTiny or my Mac (named April - I'm not bothering to scrub that out of the logfile snippits below).

SpokePOV is powered on, USBTiny is connected (confirmed that pin1 is pin1 on both ends, and plugged into April. The green light on USBTiny comes on when attempting a connection, but SpokePOV Soft returns the now-familiar error "Failed to communicate with SpokePOV!".

That's a pretty unhelpful message, so I had a look at /var/log/System.log, but it's equally unhelpful:

Code: Select all

Sep 12 14:16:22 april [0x0-0x56f56f].org.wxwindows...[16706]: 14:16:22 : Debug: Connecting via usb
Sep 12 14:16:22 april [0x0-0x56f56f].org.wxwindows...[16706]: 14:16:22 : Debug: closed
Sep 12 14:16:24 april [0x0-0x56f56f].org.wxwindows...[16706]: 14:16:24 : Debug: Found device!
Sep 12 14:16:26 april [0x0-0x56f56f].org.wxwindows...[16706]: 14:16:26 : Debug: failed 00
Poking around a bit on the forums, I found some hints about using avrdude to talk to USBTiny, but that was another dismal failure:

Code: Select all

april:~ kenkl$ avrdude -c usbtiny -p m8
avrdude: error: no usb support. Please compile again with libusb installed.
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude done.  Thank you.
Of course, avrdude is perfectly fine with uploading sketches to the Ardu's, since they show up as serial devices. USBTiny doesn't.

I'm pretty unclear now whether avrdude's inability to communicate via USB has anything to do with the SpokePOV failure I'm having. I do know that SpokePOV is happy on my bicycle; it correctly displays the sample images that are pre-burned on the EEPROM in the kit.

Any hints?

Please?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”