Spoke POV hardware problem?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Adrenylyn

Spoke POV hardware problem?

Post by Adrenylyn »

So I've soldered up my board, and it looks like one of the banks of LEDs works great and the other doesn't. Acuatlly, 3 out of 30 LEDs in bank 2 work. (#7, #13, and #14)... When you power up the board, one bank does the nice "wave" of lights, and the other one doesn't, save those three LEDs.

I succeeded to program it anyways, and it looks like it works great... just only on one side. Those 3 LEDs on the bad side do flash when they are supposed to when the sensor is triggered.

I carefully double checked over all of my soldering job. It looks like the LEDs that do work are connected to different latch chips, so I'm stumped as to what the problem might be. Any ideas???

--Adrenylynn

:?

Bikepunx

Post by Bikepunx »

I have a very similar problem one board seems to work fine but the other two don't seem to work at all!

1 side of one of the boards does the test, and turns off, but the other side just sort of lights up most of the leds (at once not in pattern) execept for a few of the lights

the other board just lights up most of them (at once not in the pattern and doesn't turn off)

The soldering is correct (or at least it looks right and I have checked it over 4 times) We also switched around the good microcontroller too the bad spokepovs and nothing changes...I really would like to have these working by January 05...Someone help me and Adrenylyn come on folks somone has got the cure all!?!?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

some things 2 check:

are all the chips 74HC595s? are they soldered on the right sides? the right way?

are the resistor packs in the right way?

can you talk to the spokepovs with the software anyways?

N6OZG

Post by N6OZG »

I built and tested two of the units during the holidays. Both units tested okay on the workbench. Yesterday I powered up one of them and one side self tests good but on the other side the first six LEDs are off and the rest stay on all the time. I'm thinking that IC4 (or IC9) is toast. I don't have the board in front of me right now but looking at the schematic I'm guessing that's my problem. I tried powering the board up without IC1 or the EEPROM and got the same result. Is this something you'd warranty or should I order a tube of latches from Jameco? Thanks

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

OK one thing to try is to desolder (or cut) the serial input in on the latch and tie it to the output pin. that will bypass that chip and tell you if that is the problem!

ComplexNecessities

Six LEDs off on start

Post by ComplexNecessities »

Hey, PLC.Doctor.

I just built a SpokePOV and am having the exact same issue you mentioned below: one side properly lights up each LED in sequence on start-up, but the other side turns on all LEDs and leaves them on, except for the 6 located next to resistor RN2.

Did you figure out what causes this?

Thanks!

PLC.Doctor wrote:I built and tested two of the units during the holidays. Both units tested okay on the workbench. Yesterday I powered up one of them and one side self tests good but on the other side the first six LEDs are off and the rest stay on all the time. I'm thinking that IC4 (or IC9) is toast. I don't have the board in front of me right now but looking at the schematic I'm guessing that's my problem. I tried powering the board up without IC1 or the EEPROM and got the same result. Is this something you'd warranty or should I order a tube of latches from Jameco? Thanks

adafruit

Re: Six LEDs off on start

Post by adafruit »

agitprop wrote:Hey, PLC.Doctor.

I just built a SpokePOV and am having the exact same issue you mentioned below: one side properly lights up each LED in sequence on start-up, but the other side turns on all LEDs and leaves them on, except for the 6 located next to resistor RN2.
i would triple check all the resistor packs and the latches, first. are they all in correctly? do they all say 74HC595?

ComplexNecessities

Re: Six LEDs off on start

Post by ComplexNecessities »

Solved the issue by replacing the IC4 latch. Now, the unit initializes all lights on both sides.

Thanks for answering so quickly!

ladyada wrote:
agitprop wrote:Hey, PLC.Doctor.

i would triple check all the resistor packs and the latches, first. are they all in correctly? do they all say 74HC595?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”