Missing Resistor Bank and Bent Pin.

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
allanbutton

Missing Resistor Bank and Bent Pin.

Post by allanbutton »

Hello LadyAda,

I ordered the spoke POV kit from you about 2 weeks ago, and it came in today so I started putting it together. When I got to the stage of putting the ICs in I noticed that the one that was in the tube with the tape on the end right on the edge, had its pin broken off.

It was a 74HC595 chip. I tryed to attach a leg to it and solder it in, but im not sure if it is working right.

Also, my kit was missing a resistor bank.

If I covered the shipping, could you send replacements?

I connecting it all up with the missing bank, and the damaged pin. When it powers up, it does a single LED wave up on one side ( except for the LEDs directly accross from the missing resistor bank ), and on the other side, all the LEDs stay lit all the time, except for the last 6, which do do the wave, but stay unlit after that.

I tryed putting the broken legged IC in IC6, would this be why they are all staying lit?

Let me know,
Allan Button
badcomputer.tv

allanbutton

Post by allanbutton »

Nevermind.

Do to the time shipping, and the fact that I was shooting the assembly for a vidcast segment, I rushed out to the electronics store and bought a new 595. They dident have resistor bus' so I used 9 resistors and solders all the common leads together.

It was IC6 the reason that a large number of LEDs on the one side where staying lit up, Live and Learn.

Now I need to find better images to load on this...

Take Care
Allan Button
badcomputer.tv

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Hi i just read your first message...it sounds like its all fixed up now but in general if we mess up or send a bad part we'll replace it for free :)

allanbutton

Post by allanbutton »

Hey, I'll make sure I mention that in the final cut.

Im not sure what the heck happened to the packaging the kit was mailed in. When it came through the mailbox, it was already opened on the paper flap, a quick ( as in not taking anything out of the bag, just shuffling things around ) count told me everything was there.

If it wasent 2 bucks in parts, and if I dident need them yesterday ( im sure you know that expression ) I would have taken you up on the free unmessed up policy.

But may I say thank you for the two extra LEDs! I ended up using the one, because I made a stupid and put the soldering iron down without looking to see if it settled in the base, and only realized it was sitting on the side of the PCB on an LED after I noticed the smell.

Take Care,
- Allan Button
BadComputer.Tv

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”